Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Memorials
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-09-2010, 11:51 AM   #1 
1fish2fish

Freddie Mercury

Freddie Mercury passed away last night. He apparently had an internal bacterial infection of some sort. I'd known for a couple weeks he wasn't "right" but I didn't know what was going on until two days ago and by then it was too late Yesterday he started pineconing and I knew there was nothing I could have done.

I got Freddie in May 2009 from a Petsmart. When I got him I was totally unaware of how to properly care for bettas. Freddie and my other boy Fish (r.i.p) were in unheated 1 gallon tanks with sparse water changes. A month after I got him Freddie began biting his tail. I didn't know what was causing it so I began to do research on Bettas and caught the "bug". I never did get Freddie to completely quit biting but he had been doing so much better since this summer and his fins were looking quite nice.

Freddie was completely annoying, a total grumpy butt head, and one of my most favorite bettas. He was the first fish I said good morning to and the last I said good night to. Even my roommate who thinks fish are a waste of time loved Freddie. He is the only fish to ever jump out and bite my finger (and my roommates as well LOL).

Here's a couple pictures. The first one is the last I ever took of him before he got sick.

Freddie got his name of course from Freddie Mercury who was the lead singer of Queen (in case you've been living under a rock). When I first got Freddie his bowl sat near my piano and one day I was working on "Don't Stop Me Now" and I looked up and Freddie was just a swimming like there was no tomorrow. It looked like he was dancing I figured a fish with such awesome taste in music deserved an awesome name.

R.I.P old grump and here's one last song for you Don't Stop Me Now
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 12:02 PM   #2 
nochoramet

R.I.P Freddie! I'm so sorry he died, sounds eerily just like how Fishy passed. Maybe him and Freddie can be friends in fishy heaven (or wherever they go.) I'm sorry.
nochoramet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 12:26 PM   #3 
1fish2fish

Thanks. In a way I'm glad he's gone. I knew he was not doing well and I'm relieved he's not in pain any more.
Old 09-09-2010, 12:26 PM   #4 
karlhague

Sorry for your loss.
karlhague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 01:27 PM   #5 
vaygirl

I loved your description of his personality. It made me smile. Sorry Jackie. At least he's not suffering any more. RIP Freddie. :(
vaygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 05:18 PM   #6 
ReyesBetta

I'm so sorry Jackie. He was like your main man it seems like. I hope he's having a fun time in fishy heaven. R.I.P. Freddie.
ReyesBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 05:21 PM   #7 
weluvbettas

That speech you made jackie was very moving. R.I.P freddie!
weluvbettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 06:06 PM   #8 
Learn To Fly

Awww :( RIP Freddie. Sorry for your loss 1f2f, he sounds like a wonderful (with an attitude lol) fish.
Learn To Fly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 07:17 PM   #9 
beat2020

So sorry for your loss 1fish2fish :(
R.I.P. Freddie
beat2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 08:43 PM   #10 
1fish2fish

Thanks guys. I was really sad when I got back from work a little while ago and saw his empty tank. I was going to fill his tank with one of my new breeder males but I think I may go get myself another pet store VT. You can't get a better attitude than a pet store fish.

I may very well come home Sunday with 5 new fish instead of 4.