Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-09-2010, 01:55 PM   #1 
thegreatwhitewolf

Is My Fish Sick or Am I Just Paranoid?

Maybe I'm just being paranoid, but I have a gut feeling that something isn't right with Demyx. He hasn't been eating for a couple days, maybe, and he's really listless. He's in a one-gallon tank with no filter but he there's a heater and a way for the tank to be oxygenated (not sure what it's called). Here's a picture.
Attached Images

thegreatwhitewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 02:19 PM   #2 
Ajones108

"and a way for the tank to be oxygenated"

Betta's are surface breathers so oxygenating the water is really only useful for aerobic bacteria and some live plants. :p

Is his eye normally that cloudy or did the camera catch it wrong? How frequently do you do water changes? Temp of the water?
Ajones108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 02:32 PM   #3 
thegreatwhitewolf

Well it came with the tank so I just use it. ^^ I don't think his eyes are normally that cloudy. Maybe it was just the camera. I've been changing the water once a week. The temperature is currently 80 degrees. The heater regulates it between 76-82 degrees.
Old 09-09-2010, 04:37 PM   #4 
Ajones108

In a one gallon unfiltered tank water changes should be carried out in one of the suggested ways to keep toxins from building up in the water. A lot of people give different suggestions. For a one gallon, I think it should be changed at bare minimum 50% every other day and 100% once a week. I believe Adastra has recommended 100% every other day. 100% once a week is too small for even a 2.5 gallon tank. Are there any other symptoms you notice?
Ajones108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 05:35 PM   #5 
thegreatwhitewolf

All right. I'll make sure to do a 50% water change every other day because I do a 100% water change every week. No other symptoms except he looks kind of pale. He's not as bright as he was when I first got him.