Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-09-2010, 02:05 PM   #1 
Itsonme

my betta's sickness updates still need help and tips

ok this beta is about 3 years since i liberated him from a walmart in my area for the longest time i was a terrible fish owner due to my own laziness and misinformation but now im trying to nurse him back to health

these are pics of him when he was at his worse in his tiny tank from a few weeks back
http://i51.tinypic.com/2i8em9w.jpg
http://i55.tinypic.com/vrr52r.jpg

and his symtoms
- laying on floor of tank all day peeping up for air only
- barely eating sometimes spitting out food
- dull color
- really bad looking gills
- not spreading his fins out

well since then i have gotten him a 1.5 gallon tank with a filter and some plants and stuff i have a heater coming in the mail should be here tomorrow and ive improved his condition slightly here are some pics
http://i52.tinypic.com/6hhk6r.jpg
http://i55.tinypic.com/2n37n5.jpg

and here are his symptoms with how hes doing and what im doing to help

- laying on floor of tank all day peeping up for air only
i cant do much about this but he has started to become more lively he trys to swim around but it almost seems like he just becomes tired and takes a rest now he really enjoys sitting ontop of the plans and filter close to the top of the water

- barely eating sometimes spitting out food
he eats much more now! mostly to my new diet plan for his recovery i have pellets and blood worms in the morning when i wake up i feed him a pellet he always eats in the morning then once he eats the pellet i introduce a blood worm he may spit it out if so i remove and wait

afternoon i try to feed him again with atleast a single pellet or the blood worm he passed on earlier

evening again try to get him to eat atleast one pellet

so in total during the day i get him to eat 3 pellets and 1 bloodworm

- dull color
his color seems to be coming back

- really bad looking gills
the gills are starting to look healthier

- not spreading his fins out
before his fins were completely scrunched even when swimming now they seem to have more of a span especially when me makes an effort to swim

other things
- using fresh water aquarium salt
- using small amount of epsom salt
- using aqua safe and easy balance for his tank
- daily 1/2 gallon changes and every 3-5 days full gallon changes with spring water jugs

currently waiting on my heater and some methylene blue medicine (adasta told me to get) and some higher quality pellets for him but i still need any more advice to get him to full health for his new 10 gallon tank i have waiting for him which is currently inhabited by 4 cory fish and a mystery snail lol so i wanted to make sure he's fully recovered before i add him to other species of fish

thanks for helping me even though this is a long read
Itsonme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 03:41 PM   #2 
Ajones108

I'm glad that you're doing everything you can to help your betta along.

However, if you've had him for 3 years and he's a rescue from Wal-Mart, and you're trying to nurse him back to health... Your odds are low. He's old for a betta. I'm glad his condition is looking up but from what I see, what you're doing right now is really all you can do. If the filter is too strong on your tank you might need a sponge to baffle it, a current too strong could discourage him from swimming up for air.

He's a very pretty fish though...
Ajones108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 05:50 PM   #3 
Itsonme

well thanks im really hoping to see him acctually swim around at the top all day instead of sink to the bottom
Old 09-10-2010, 10:41 AM   #4 
Adastra

Bettas can live for 7 years or more if you take care of them properly--this fish has a disadvantage because of his poor health, but that's no reason to stop trying. I have read an article about one of the oldest bettas living to around 15 years old, I believe. The owner's secret was that the fish had a large planted tank all to himself and the owner chased him around with a stick everyday for exercise.

Hopefully the heater will give him a boost--he needs all the help he can get. Good to hear he's improving. :) His color has definitely improved and he looks much more alert now.
Adastra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 12:53 AM   #5 
Itsonme

well my medicine didn't come today like i expected so i guess it has to wait till monday but surprisingly he's doing even better since i made this post :)

he is still kind of weak but has found a very impressive way to stay afloat he uses the current of his filter to push himself near the top towards the edge of the glass and he stays up there for awhile so hopefully this works his fins a bit and he gains strength from it