Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-10-2010, 01:22 AM   #1 
ForbiddenSecrets

Question Anyone ever feel like an inadequate fish mommy/dad?

Just wondering if Iím alone in this.

I have a happy VT in a three gallon filtered and heated tank [in album] with daily food and a water change every other day or so because I do it whenever I have the time since I have a busy life and I never know when Iíll be stuck away for a few days. My baby is active and loves food time. Heís such a glutton and knows tank lid off = FEED [sometimes followed by the magical water drop and rise]

That being said I canít help but feel like Iím not doing right by my boy when I look at the stunning 10 gallon + tanks that people have their darlings in. Anyone else Ė for whatever reason Ė have random feelings of being inadequate?

[Not to complain and I really donít try to compare myself to anyone else lol. Iím just a doting type person so even though my fish has no jealousy I sometimes feel bad]
ForbiddenSecrets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 01:25 AM   #2 
nochoramet

I get jealous of other people's fish... Sometimes I'm embarrassed to put pics of my babies up because they're all tailbiters and they look ratty sometimes... and people on here have these stunning halfmoons and crowntails that just are pristinely perfect. And I have mine all crammed in a 10g because we're only allowed to have that in my dorm :( So yes I share it a little bit. But you're doing GREAT compared to what some people have their bettas in! There's a woman I know who has her betta in a 1/2 gallon bowl and he maybe gets fed once a week and she NEVER changes his water. I feel so bad for the little guy!
nochoramet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 01:31 AM   #3 
ForbiddenSecrets

@nochoramet

I understand that. Some people here have amazing breeder fish and I got my darling [and the second I'm going to get] from a LPS. However c: I just took a gander at your fish album and I think your babies are absolutely darling <3 I particularity like Fru
ForbiddenSecrets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 01:38 AM   #4 
Alex09

I'm sure your guys are having great lives with you. So long as they have clean heated water and decorations, a betta in a 3 gallon should be as happy as a betta in a 10 gallon. And in the end, a $50 aquabid fish is no more of a betta than a $3 walmart fish :P I just got a 10 gallon for mine because I needed something that could be heated and because I have room for it. My room was looking so drab and empty. Not the tank is the centerpiece :D
Alex09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 01:58 AM   #5 
nochoramet

@forbiddensecrets, aww thank you! Well, I bought Fru off of Aquabid, because when I saw him, I knew he was "the one". All the others have come from pet stores though. Your baby is cute too!
@Alex, I agree, though sometimes in the back of my head that mean little voice tells me I'm not good enough. I tell it to shut up though. I dote on my babies. And your tank looks wonderful! :D
nochoramet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 03:32 PM   #6 
vaygirl

I can tell you a story: I used to have Tango in my 16 gallon and I thought he was the happiest fish in the world. I ignored the fact that he harassed my corys (he didn't hurt them, just chased them) and I thought that he could never be happy in another tank. Finally I couldn't ignore the chasing any more. The corys just didn't seem happy.

I moved Tango into a 5 gallon. I was sure he'd be miserable and mad at me. He's in heaven. He's so laid back now. He just looks MUCH more content. He hunts around in there and checks things out but he also is able to lounge a lot more because there's no giant filter pushing him around.

And Whiskey is a wreck. He looks like a flag that got caught in a high wind. None of his tears will heal no matter what I do. He's got a tumor and I can't do anything about it. I'd be mortified if you guys saw him. He's so bad looking.

If your boy is happy and healthy, that's all that matters. :D
vaygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 03:34 PM   #7 
ReyesBetta

I feel that way. All the time. :( I love my fishies just as much as any AB fish though.
ReyesBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 03:35 PM   #8 
splyce

@.@ Yeah I feel like that all the time, especially when people have more than (sometimes A LOT more than) one betta. I can really only take care of one at a time and all I have is a gallon fish bowl...

BUT! I don't love my betta any less than anybody else. He's awesome and I think he's beautiful and I'm REALLY happy to have him. :)
splyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 04:11 PM   #9 
ReyesBetta

All of mine are from stores so their all tailbiters and most of their fins are pretty ripped to shreads.
ReyesBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 04:28 PM   #10 
BlueHaven

Yea, actually I was feeling that way because my new 5 gallon tank. My male betta is in a 2.5 and my female is in the 5 gallon. I felt like he should have more room since he is the first one I got, but I am planning to put some ghost shrimp with the female and maybe a snail, so she'll have about the same room as him. And my male loves his home, he has plenty of space to swim and explore, so he is okay. :)
BlueHaven is offline   Reply With Quote