Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-10-2010, 05:44 PM   #1 
JKfish

He's sick, really sick

D: Puffy isn't being himself. He's lethargic, laying on his side, having trouble moving, laying on the bottom, rarely coming up for air, and not responsive.

He was in a hospital tank for finrot treatment. No additives, just lots of clean water. It was heated at 80 degrees, and he was fine the first two days. I just went to feed him today, and found him looking dead on the bottom of the tank. I've taken him out, and put him in clean water in a shallow tubberware. Right now, he's in three inches of water, but he still is having trouble coming up for air. Looking above him from above, sometimes his body will bend to the right, then straighten, the after a while bend back to the right. His fins are clamped. He hasn't taken any food. I don't have anything to treat him with, no aquarium salt, no stress coat, no nothing. Unless I can find something in my house, I won't be able to treat him, seeing as I doubt my parent's are going to drive me to the petstore.

What's wrong with him? Is there any way I can treat him?
JKfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 09:04 PM   #2 
JKfish

anyone?

He's gotten worse, to the point where I don't notice any gill movement at all, he barely responds to anything, and he looks like one of those bettas in the cups at LFS that are about to die.... help?
Old 09-10-2010, 10:21 PM   #3 
Ajones108

I have no idea, JKfish... You know what you're doing and I really can't think of anything that would be wrong either... How old is Puffy?
Ajones108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 11:27 PM   #4 
vaygirl

That sounds a lot like Senor Fish. Is he pineconed at all? It's so hard when you can't 'see' any obvious illness. Just keep him comfortable and hope for the best. With what Senor and my guppies had, it was 48 hours between them showing symptoms and death. I swear there's something moving through our water systems. These waves of illness/death are eerie.
vaygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 11:35 PM   #5 
Ajones108

There've been so many cases of the strange, sudden deaths lately... Shif is even being strange. ._.
Old 09-11-2010, 07:41 AM   #6 
JKfish

I've had him seven months, so he's probably somewhere between a year to almost two years.

No, he hasn't pineconed yet.

He's now breathing harder, and he's breaking my heart. He looks like he's trying really hard to swim. His tail is halfway moving, and he's trying to move his fins, but he can't. He was struggling just to move to get his head up for air. I had to lower his water even more, but I still can't help but wonder if it's still too deep for him to reach air.

The worst part is that he's technically not my fish. He's my little 5 year old brother's fish. I've already told my little bro that Puffy is sick, but my little brother jus says "You have to make him better. Think really really hard and fix him. You can do it!" :'( If Puffy dies, my little brother will be crushed.
Old 09-11-2010, 09:41 AM   #7 
fishman12

So So sorry JKFish
fishman12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 11:23 AM   #8 
vaygirl

Aw, that's hard. It's part of growing up though. :( I'm so sorry I don't have any advice to give. What you're doing is just about all you can do.
vaygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 12:00 PM   #9 
JKfish

:( Thanks both of you

This death wave is really concerning me. :/
Old 09-11-2010, 07:39 PM   #10 
Ajones108

If you're at your wit's end and don't know what else to do...

I've heard of a product called Betta Revive by Hikari that has excellent reviews... A lot of people use it when they really don't know what else to do. It looks like it might be the same thing as Methylene Blue but I'm uncertain. If you're out of options, maybe you could check it out. It's only like 2-3 bucks.

http://www.petco.com/product/102424/...t=OnSiteSearch