Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-10-2010, 09:16 PM   #11 
fsboroboto

Should I keep moving him up to the surface briefly and letting him have some air?? Or not risk hurting him?
fsboroboto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 09:23 PM   #12 
Ajones108

Good luck to Phoenix, but what Alex said, we don't know what temperature that lamp is making the tank either. You need a thermometer to really tell.

IN MY OPINION, bare minimum supplies:

1. 2.5 gallon tank, preferably with a hood to keep them from jumping out. Actually, check this out: http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...ductId=3611436

OR, since you're paying almost as much for this one as you would for something bigger...

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Hawkeye-5-...82640589777636

Two ideal tanks. Filter, hood, light bulb. The only thing its missing is gravel, silk or live plants, and a heater...

http://www.fosterandsmithaquatics.co...m?pcatid=11368
25 Watts for 2-5 gallons, 50 Watts for 5 gallons to a certain point.

And then just a glass thermometer.

3. Water conditioner. Prime by Seachem.

4. Food of some sort. I like Atison's Betta Food, purchasable off of www.lnt.com. I also feed freeze-dried bloodworms once a week.

These are the BARE MINIMUMS. If you want to go even further with your little hobby at this point, you could get a freshwater testing kit and even get some live plants for your tank. With the 5gallon tank live plants are amazing. <3 But that is for a different time. Post in the Betta Fish Care forum if you want more suggestions. :p
Ajones108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 09:24 PM   #13 
Ajones108

Double post to reply to what you just said:

You should drain about 25% of the water in that 1-gallon bowl to give him more surface area to breathe. Otherwise, let him lay. Sometimes they won't go to surface for quite a few minutes.
Old 09-10-2010, 09:30 PM   #14 
fsboroboto

Well crap I just spent $40 bucks getting everything I did at petco. And he's dying the day after. The only problem is that I have VERY limited room. I live in a dormitory and his house is any tank that can fit on my shelving. So I'm afraid the 2.5 thing will be too big. And I need to get aquarium salt and meds, too.

Update: His gills have stopped moving and his fins have begun to lose their color. I think it's a safe bet to assume that he has passed on. I think I'll get a healthier betta and be more prepared...
Old 09-10-2010, 09:36 PM   #15 
Ajones108

The next time someone says they can't get something for their betta cause they live in a dorm is gonna get bopped on the head. >_> I'm a college student, a 2.5gallon sits on my desk (I actually have TWO fishtanks on my desk right now...) and a 5 gallon in my room. No, I'm not keeping ALL of those tanks. Just the 5 gallon. Once the fish in the 4 gallon has gotten healthier he is being moved home. Just cause you're in a dorm doesn't mean you can't provide adequate care. :p At least a 2.5 gallon. 5 gallons is easier to care for in college than a 2.5 gallon. Keep me updated, if his gills have stopped moving then RIP pretty fish, I blame the pet store. v_v
Old 09-10-2010, 11:41 PM   #16 
fsboroboto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajones108 View Post
The next time someone says they can't get something for their betta cause they live in a dorm is gonna get bopped on the head. >_> I'm a college student, a 2.5gallon sits on my desk (I actually have TWO fishtanks on my desk right now...) and a 5 gallon in my room. No, I'm not keeping ALL of those tanks. Just the 5 gallon. Once the fish in the 4 gallon has gotten healthier he is being moved home. Just cause you're in a dorm doesn't mean you can't provide adequate care. :p At least a 2.5 gallon. 5 gallons is easier to care for in college than a 2.5 gallon. Keep me updated, if his gills have stopped moving then RIP pretty fish, I blame the pet store. v_v
I don't know how big your dorm is or how much stuff you have, but I honestly don't have that much room. Not to mention, not that much money. Especially after I already bought all this stuff. And I think I deserve a break, I've never owned a fish before, I tried my best. He died shortly after I made that post. I'm thinking of returning the fish bowl and getting aquarium salt, a bigger more self-sufficient tank, a thermometer, etc. Did those 2.5 tanks have a heater?

I'm glad he passed before I was too attached to him and before he suffered too much further from fin rot or whatever was ailing the poor guy. I'm sad but at least now I know what not to do for my next betta.
Old 09-10-2010, 11:47 PM   #17 
Ajones108

The 2.5 gallon tanks do not have a heater. That minibow 2.5 has everything BUT the heater. If you return the stuff you bought to the store AND say the fish died, you should get a full refund for everything, which you can use to get the new minibow, and a heater. :) I honestly think that it wasn't your fault he died. A fish dying that fast after getting him home, it was definitely a pre-existing ailment. When you go to the pet store, take some of your water with you, and have it checked. :) We'll get you set up in no time.
Old 09-11-2010, 12:54 AM   #18 
fsboroboto

Quote:
The 2.5 gallon tanks do not have a heater. That minibow 2.5 has everything BUT the heater. If you return the stuff you bought to the store AND say the fish died, you should get a full refund for everything, which you can use to get the new minibow, and a heater. :) I honestly think that it wasn't your fault he died. A fish dying that fast after getting him home, it was definitely a pre-existing ailment. When you go to the pet store, take some of your water with you, and have it checked. :) We'll get you set up in no time.
I already have all my desk space taken up. I would need to fit it on my shelves. I'll have to look and see what kinds petco has, they're the only pet store near me. I would really like to get another betta or possibly another type of fish. I want some sort of pet and a fish fits my situation. I just don't want them to keep dying. I don't have the receipt for the fish or supplies, think they'll still let me return anything? T_T;;
Old 09-11-2010, 01:12 AM   #19 
Ajones108

:)
http://www.petco.com/product/110703/...sktopAquariums

I highly recommend getting a 2.5. When you go to PetCo and see the size of the tank then you'll be surprised at the ideal size. You should be able to accommodate it.
Old 09-11-2010, 02:48 PM   #20 
fsboroboto

Quote:
:)
http://www.petco.com/product/110703/...sktopAquariums

I highly recommend getting a 2.5. When you go to PetCo and see the size of the tank then you'll be surprised at the ideal size. You should be able to accommodate it.
Alright, but you mentioned them letting me return my old stuff. Do you think they'll let me return the old tank and get a refund when I tell them the fish died when I don't have a receipt or tags for it anymore?