Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-06-2010, 02:55 PM   #1 
BZWingZero

New to Bettas, fish, and the forums

I've always liked watching fish in aquariums and found them extremely relaxing. But I had never owned a fish before. My sister had a [extremely ugly] goldfish.

Upon discovering the only real aquariums in town were at the themeparks (with $75+ admission per day), I decided I should get a fish and tank for myself. I did quite a bit of research before settling on a betta.

So I got an old tank (approximately 1 gal), some gravel, and a silk plant, and of course the fish (and food and water treatment). I plan on doing 50% water changes every other day and 100% changes about twice a week, at least until I can afford a bigger tank that can be filtered properly and cycled. (Probably ~6 months from now).

I still have no idea what to name him. http://twitpic.com/2lv9y3

Ideas and suggestions for a name or other helpful tips for a newbie to the world of fishkeeping would be appreciated.
BZWingZero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 03:57 PM   #2 
dramaqueen
Banned

Hello and welcome to the forum. I'm glad you're doing your research. :)I'm sure you'll have a happy, healthy fish.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 05:20 PM   #3 
Cutar

1 Gallon really is a little too small for that fish. If you are on a budget they have large and extra large critter keeps that are perfect and they can fit a 25 watt heater. That is what my original betta setup was.
Cutar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 05:24 PM   #4 
Adastra

He's very cute. :) Normally for a one gallon container, I recommend 100% water changes every other day, but if you test your tank regularly and things seem to be working out with this routine, you could stick to it. If you add a hardy live plant like java moss, you'll get a bit more wiggle room as well. Plants absorb some of the wastes fish excrete as food and just a bit of moss can make a big difference. You should look into it. :)

If you want a cheap temporary home for your betta, you could use a rubbermaid/sterilite plastic storage bin. They're not the prettiest containers in the world, but the clear ones are only about $3 for a 4 gallon bin--you can't beat that. Plus they're safe to use with a quality adjustable heater, which your boy needs. :) They're very durable and light for easy cleaning and make great betta homes. If you want to upgrade to a setup like this, I recommend this heater or one like it: http://www.fosterandsmithaquatics.co...8&pcatid=11368 since it has an adjustable temperature dial, you have more control and stability. Nonadjustable heaters often don't heat the water enough or overheat it, so you should avoid those.

Good luck and welcome to the forum.
Adastra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 06:49 PM   #5 
onlyhope1912

The fish is very pretty. Have you thought of a name yet?
onlyhope1912 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 07:06 PM   #6 
BZWingZero

I'm thinking that he'll be named "Roy". Not sure why but he seems like a Roy.
BZWingZero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 07:13 PM   #7 
Lion Mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by BZWingZero View Post
I'm thinking that he'll be named "Roy". Not sure why but he seems like a Roy.
It happens that way sometimes.

I once had a large calico fantail goldfish that my husband said looked like a "Bernard" - so "Bernard" it was!!!

BTW, welcome to the forum!
Lion Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 10:48 PM   #8 
actbillie27

i have a question, if my fish seem hungry and they dont leave food behind should i keep feeding them every so many hrs or only 2 times a day?
actbillie27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 05:08 AM   #9 
Waterbottle2

Quote:
Originally Posted by actbillie27 View Post
i have a question, if my fish seem hungry and they dont leave food behind should i keep feeding them every so many hrs or only 2 times a day?

Twice a day for sure. Trust me they SEEM hungry mine do the same thing lol! They are little pigs sometimes. But I've read on this forum that a bettas stomach is about the size of its eyeball so they really dont need more than twice a day
Waterbottle2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 10:07 AM   #10 
actbillie27

I only say they seem hungry because one of betta's in particular hunts the bottom of her tank for food all the time
actbillie27 is offline   Reply With Quote