Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-10-2010, 11:30 PM   #11 
metalbetta

I couldn't tell ya what makes them tail biters, Cameron was shipped to me from Texas, has a loaded 2.5 gallon all to himself, gets all the attention he could ever want, and he still bites his tail. Whenever he does it I just use AQ salt and it heals right up!
metalbetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 11:40 PM   #12 
Ajones108

He has to be in a hospital tank unfiltered and preferably no plants or gravel to make water changes easier, you'll be doing one every day 100% for 5 days.

With the Maracyn I, you have a packet to dose 10 gallons. Mix that in a bowl with 10mL of water. Take 1mL of that mixture and add it to a gallon of water. Or, take 5mL of that mixture and mix it with 5 gallons of water and then use the water you need. I see this as the easiest way to dose powder medications.

EDIT: if you got like a $4 clear rubbermaid tote that is shallow and is like 2-5 gallons you van use more of the treatment packet. Use only 1 packet per water change, I don't think its good to use 1 packet for 10 changes if you're doing 1 gallon only. And, with 2-5 gallons you can throw a hydor mini heater on it. :)
Ajones108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 11:45 PM   #13 
Lincoln

@ metalbetta:

Yes, who knows what those bettas has been through in their life!
We got Tiepolo from our local Petsmart, no idea how long he had to stay in the little plastic cup...

I wish aquarium salt would heal our betta fast, it doesn't seem to change anything so far...gonna have to try some more days.

@ Ajones108:
Yup, the 1 gallon bowl is basically his hospital tank, unfiltered and no gravel, just a little plant which is made of some really soft material (silicon???). Got it from Petsmart(fishpet section, of course) and he loves to rest on it or hide behind it....

That's some great idea for medicine dosage you have! Thanks for sharing!

Last edited by Lincoln; 09-10-2010 at 11:48 PM.
Lincoln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 11:48 PM   #14 
Ajones108

OH! ALSO!

About the Maracyn dosages. You should get a medicine syringe. One of the ones with a plunger-like thing on it, that measures up to 10mL so that you can adequately measure things. You can find them in the medicine department at a lot of superstores like WalMart, Target, Winn-Dixie, etc.
Old 09-10-2010, 11:52 PM   #15 
Lincoln

Thanks! Syringe is a good idea too!

Gonna check by the forum tomorrow again and make an update of Tiepolo's condition in 2 - 3 days. Just hoping now things get better with his tail....
Old 09-11-2010, 12:06 AM   #16 
Ajones108

Keep me updated. :) I'm living in this forum right now because of my own problems. ha ha.
Old 09-12-2010, 08:51 PM   #17 
Lincoln

Okay,
it's day 3 of Tiepolo's time in the hospital tank
with daily water changes(100%) and added aquarium salt.

Compared to yesterday the tail does look more stable but I recognized tiny cotton like balls around the tips, which indicate a tail rot fungus, I think.

If this fungus is not gone tomorrow (just changed his water),
then he will get the Anti-Fungus medicine (Maracyn) starting from tomorrow...

Here's a photo of the poor guy:

[IMG][/IMG]

P.S. On the photo the fungus is not visible, I think because I just changed the water.