Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-11-2010, 11:48 AM   #1 
beat2020

Cambodians-Opinions

Well my first spawning attempt failed with my pair of cambodians,so I'm going to start over again. The problem is my male (Blaise) just doesn't seem to be a very good breeder (Ex. Very tiny bubblenest that pretty much disintegrated, not letting the female come out of her hiding spot,as soon as she did he would keep nipping and chasing her away.)So I'm looking to get new stock. However I haven't found any cambodians recently in places like Aquabid. So I'm thinking of doing something like this http://bettysplendens.com/articles/p...?articleid=972 ( The chart on the bottom.) It might take a little longer, but I'm up for the challenge. So do you guys think I should get another pair (Multicolors) or should I just try my current pair again?
beat2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 11:51 AM   #2 
MrVampire181

Just stick with yours. You have a good pair. Try adding a water conditioner with almond leaf extract like Nutrafin Betta Plus. I use Stress Coat, Stress Zyme, and Nutrafin Betta Plus in my breeding tanks and I get spawns in a few days.
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 12:02 PM   #3 
1fish2fish

I don't think additives really make a difference. If your pair is well conditioned and you take your time with them you should get a spawn most times.

Try re-conditioning them for a week. Stuff them with frozen and/or live foods. Let them see only each other for that time. I would put them in the spawning tank (female in a jar) and condition them in there. Turn the heat up to 84-86* and cover the tank with saran wrap (plastic wrap) to keep the humidity in the tank. What I did was to cover it with two pieces so I could separate the middle to feed easily.

Take it slow.. if you see the male building a good nest and the female seems ready then go ahead and release her. Keep the water nice and clean.

IME using IAL v not using IAL hasn't really made a difference. With the same pair I got a spawn in water treated only with prime and water treated with prime and tinted black with IAL.

If there is one thing I've learned about breeding its "if at first you don't succeed, try try again".
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 12:06 PM   #4 
MrVampire181

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1fish2fish View Post
I don't think additives really make a difference.

IME using IAL v not using IAL hasn't really made a difference. With the same pair I got a spawn in water treated only with prime and water treated with prime and tinted black with IAL.
It did for me. My bettas wouldn't do anything when I had salt in the tank, the spawn where I switched salt for IAL extract I got a spawn.

But remember this is me, everyone is different when it comes to breeding.
Old 09-11-2010, 08:39 PM   #5 
vilmarisv

I agree. Try your pair again. It would take a few generations to get a true cambodian.
I don't know about IAL vs no IAL, I just like it because it keeps the bubbles together.
Do cover the tank with something as 1fish2fish said. Bubbles pop if the air pressure is stronger than the inside pressure of the bubble.
My male only had a few bubbles when I introduced the female and would chase her like a mad fish. But 3 days after they spawned and his bubblenest was huge!
vilmarisv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 08:49 PM   #6 
1fish2fish

That is true.. but if you have a weak bubblnester then IAL isn't going to help LOL Thats the problem I had when I tried to spawn Rio the last time... of course then he ate all the eggs too so that contributed to it LOL
Old 09-11-2010, 08:57 PM   #7 
MrVampire181

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1fish2fish View Post
That is true.. but if you have a weak bubblnester then IAL isn't going to help LOL Thats the problem I had when I tried to spawn Rio the last time... of course then he ate all the eggs too so that contributed to it LOL
I hate it when the pair you want eats their eggs :P

IAL seems to make bettas want to spawn more readily for me. And I don't use the leaf just the extract :)

Banana leaves can be found at places like Whole Foods and are similar to IAL (so I hear, more on this later when I try it).
Old 09-11-2010, 09:24 PM   #8 
1fish2fish

Yeah I know a breeder who uses banana leaves.

I don't know what happened with Rio. I spawned him to the exact same female and everything went well (albiet a little slow) but the second time around it was a fiasco. It took them two days to spawn, when they finally did he put the eggs in the nest but then went back during the night and ate them >.<

I'm going to try spawning him once more but if that doesn't work out I'm retiring him... he's not a good breeder at all.
Old 09-11-2010, 09:29 PM   #9 
doggyhog

Just keep trying. Hopefully you'll get a spawn.
doggyhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 12:08 AM   #10 
beat2020

Thanks for all the tips guys!
I'm going to try again with my same pair in a about a week. I'll start re conditioning them tomorrow and release the female when he builds a bubblenest or she's showing obvious signs to release her.
beat2020 is offline   Reply With Quote