Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-11-2010, 10:44 PM   #1 
zelilaa

Question sooo... what can i put in this thing?

Hee hee. I bet my title grabbed your attention! I had to think of something more people would actually go to.. because it sparks curiosity. You want to know what i'm talking about! Ok.. ok...

I gotta 2.5 gallon tank, with 2 l.e.d lights. The smaller one is about 1-1.5 watts, while the big one is 2.3! The big one is super bright and round. My dad gave it to me because it used to be his reading thing. Buit it was too bright and the glare off the magazine pages annoyed him lol. So i got it! In the tank I have two betta bulbs. The bigger one has about 6 leaves, smallest being 1 inch biggest being 5 inches. The smaller one has 3 leaves and they are all bigger then 2 inches. And I've only had them less then 2 weeks! So the 'betta bulbs' are going CRAZY. I also have two 6" tall fake plants, about 2.5 inches width. My betta loves them a lot. And three little 2" by 2" fake plants that used to be in a birthday cake... lol. I have pebble gravel, all the pebbles being about 1-2.75 cm. And one decor.. thats a blue glass whale. I also have some pretty purple and pink stones and a small 3" terra cotta pot. It has a 1-3 gal whisper filter, and i do a 30-37% water change once a week.

My question is.. Are there any plants i can put in with my betta in his 2.5 gal tank? Thanks! I dont want any floating plants, and preferably something leafy because thats his preference. I dont want rotala rotundifolia because one of the fake plants i have looks similar to it. Thanks! I am askign about adding ADDITIONAL plants, not replacing the fake ones.

(BTW, my betta's name is George, so were reffering to him as George. )
zelilaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 11:05 PM   #2 
zelilaa

7 views and no replies? im getting sad :(
Old 09-12-2010, 03:51 AM   #3 
splyce

well I've heard people talk about silk plants being the best. I guess they're smoother on the scales when your fish swim up against them. I have a plastic plant at the moment and it doesn't seem to be doing any harm to Pyrex.
splyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 05:30 AM   #4 
lunalove199

Silk plants will work the best like splyce said :]
lunalove199 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 10:08 AM   #5 
JKfish

Silk are nice, but in my opinion, live are just freaking awesome :). You can get hornwort really cheaply at any home depot in the gardening section, and if you want, you can let it flot or make a plant weight from a plastic cup to have it look like a rooted plant. The only problem with it is that if it doesn't like you or your water, the needles decide to fall off and make a huge mess in your water.

A less messy plant could be an anubias. Don't bury it's roots, just tie it to a rock or something.

Marimo moss balls are interesting, they sink and float.
JKfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 11:42 AM   #6 
zelilaa

I love the moss balls... they look super cool. But I think their color is too dark for my tank. Im looking up anubias now. And hornwort is awesome, but I'm definitley not looking for any type of floating plant. BTW) i;m trying to get up a photo of my tank for yall to see !
Old 09-12-2010, 12:24 PM   #7 
Alex09

Water wisteria

Java Fern (must be tied to rock/wood. Do NOT plant in substrate)

Hygrophila
Alex09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 01:24 PM   #8 
vaygirl

Java fern is the easiest and most forgiving and it would probably be fine with LED lights. Anubias would as well. Java fern grows very slowly so if you can find a bigger one, that's good. You can find them at most Petco, Petsmarts in those plastic tubes they sell. They'll be labeled "Tropical Fern" but they'll also have their latin name listed which is Microsorum Pteropus. You can also find Anubias in those tubes.

Wisteria might do okay and it might not. I think it needs brighter light then the others because it's very fast growing. For the same reason it soaks up a lot of nitrates, which is good. You could try it if you can find it. It may or may not work out.

Marimo balls are awesome, I agree. :)

vaygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 04:44 PM   #9 
zelilaa

oooohh i'm looking up water wisteria and LOVING it! The only thing is it grows huge. I know can i just trim it.. but that's annoying. It says the ph is 6.5-7.5 but idk how to test my ph water and i cant buy a test kit their too much moola. :( So i think i'll have to pass on water wistaria. I'm just sad because its so pretty and I love the leafiness. That is exactly what i meant. Lots of little leaves :D

:edit: just out of curiosity, what happens if you try to plant java fern, and how do you attach it to a rock? just bow-knot the roots? XD

Last edited by zelilaa; 09-12-2010 at 04:48 PM.
Old 09-13-2010, 02:14 AM   #10 
Alex09

If you bury the rhizome the plant will whither and die. I rubberbanded mine to a rock. Make sure its not too tight though.
Alex09 is offline   Reply With Quote