Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-12-2010, 02:33 AM   #1 
Waterbottle2

Yet another question thread (sorry)

Hello so I just went and bought a ton for my two boys lol. Right now they are in 2gals (maybe one) NOT for long they. They are going in my new 10g soon that is divided! YAY! First of all i'd like to ask a few questions about plants and gravel.

I bought alot of gravel from a local fish store however.... There was this other gravel which i'm considering going back and buying this gravel they claim helps fertilize plants or help them grow? I'm not sure what its called. However i'd be more than happy to continue my splurge on my bettas lol. So if you have any knowledge on that gravel please share with me! It sounded good so unless someone says that it'll harm the tank i'm going back tommorow returning my gravel and buyin that stuff lol.

Also what plants are good? Mine currently have ferns and uh not sure what else but i'm planning on heavily planting the tank
Thanks.

Oh and the divider is just a screen so water can flow through it is this acceptable?
Thank you so much.
Waterbottle2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 11:59 PM   #2 
dramaqueen
Banned

I wonder if it's Eco Complete. It is used in tanks with plants but I'm not sure if it's gravel or not. I don't have plants so I don't know. The only plants I can think of right now are Java fern and water sprite. I'm sure someone will come along soon and advise you on plants better than I can.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 03:27 AM   #3 
Waterbottle2

Quote:
Originally Posted by dramaqueen View Post
I wonder if it's Eco Complete. It is used in tanks with plants but I'm not sure if it's gravel or not. I don't have plants so I don't know. The only plants I can think of right now are Java fern and water sprite. I'm sure someone will come along soon and advise you on plants better than I can.

I think it might be! Everything is in the back of the car right now. I'm going to start the tank tommorow. I also got a few awesome amazon swords from Petco. They are doing a buy 2 get 1 free special also they are having a special on tanks 1 dollar per gallon!

The guy at my local fish store (not pet co) said it would work as gravel. I'll read off some stuff about it tommorow and post it here

Thanks again guys I really appreciate it and I promise I will have pictures soon!
Old 09-13-2010, 04:01 AM   #4 
karlhague

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterbottle2 View Post
I think it might be! Everything is in the back of the car right now. I'm going to start the tank tommorow. I also got a few awesome amazon swords from Petco. They are doing a buy 2 get 1 free special also they are having a special on tanks 1 dollar per gallon!

The guy at my local fish store (not pet co) said it would work as gravel. I'll read off some stuff about it tommorow and post it here

Thanks again guys I really appreciate it and I promise I will have pictures soon!

Good plants that bettas love Are Java moss, Java fern(you alreadyy have), Amazon Swords, Anubias.

I have green Cabomba in my tank aswell which my betta seems to love.
karlhague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 12:51 PM   #5 
Welsh

Theres also christmas moss, anacharis, crypts, hornwort, ambulia, ludwigia, vallis.
Welsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 06:05 PM   #6 
Waterbottle2

Thanks guys. I will write all these down. I'm sure I'll have another 10g in the future christmas is comin up soon..
Lol I've gotten way ahead of myself I'm setting up my 10g momentarily forgot one thing though that I should've remembered especially since i've made like 8 trips to the pet and fish stores in the past few days.
I forgot caves lol
Old 09-13-2010, 06:24 PM   #7 
Alex09

Dont forget anubias. Those are low light and supposed to be easy too. When you go to the fish store (esp. chain stores like petco or petsmart) dont buy any plants you havent heard of. They sell many terrestrial plants as "aquatic" these wont last too long underwater and they'll rot. Some of the more common ones are:
- Mondo Grass
- Brazilian sword
- kyoto grass (?)
- lucky bamboo
- dracaenas

Also watch out for the plants that come in the plastic tubes. Some are aquatic (java fern, wisteria, hygrophila) but many are not.
Alex09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 07:43 PM   #8 
meeka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterbottle2 View Post

Amazon swords are great. They always look lovely, but they do grow quite large.
meeka is offline   Reply With Quote