Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-12-2010, 11:54 AM   #11 
Oldfishlady

If your fry just hatched 2 days ago they may not be ready to eat yet, I don't usually start feeding fry until they are about 6-7 days old-3-4 days at the earliest if you don't have any live plants in the tank.

BBS can take 18-32h to hatch-I don't use any light on my BBS-just an airstone-I start them in water that is 84-85F and I get hatch in 18-24h usually-sometimes you can get a bad or old batch of eggs........zinc and copper in the water can also cause BBS hatch problems.

What size is your BBs hatch container and what is your salt to gallon ratio and starting water temp?
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 12:15 PM   #12 
weluvbettas

Thanks ofl i was wondering why they werent responing to the food. They would just look at it and kinda turn there heads...
The container is just a large cup really so i added just a spoonfull of aqaurium salt. The starting temp is probaly 72 (england is a cold place.. lol) and the lamp mabye gets it up to 75 , 78 at the highest. Hope that helps! :)
weluvbettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 12:29 PM   #13 
Oldfishlady

I think your BBS water is too cold to start and it will take longer for the BBS to hatch.

I made my BBS hatchery out of a 1g plastic peanut container-I drilled a hole in the lid for the air line hose-it works great. I get my water up to 84-85F fro the hatch-but I don't worry about the water temp after that because I use them up pretty fast

Careful not to get any of the salty BBS hatch water in the fry tank-not just for the salt but the bacteria that can kill your fry

Use a brine shrimp net or pantyhose and siphon the BBS in this and rinse well in cool water before you feed-try to keep as much of the BBS shells out of your fry tank-this is what can cause problems in the fry if they eat too many BBS shells

I would also try and get as much of the egg yolk out of the fry tank too-foul water will kill the fry pretty fast.
Old 09-12-2010, 12:34 PM   #14 
weluvbettas

How can i get the water warmer??
Im going to be doing daily water changes anyway to stop the water from fouling.
Old 09-12-2010, 12:41 PM   #15 
Oldfishlady

I mix my water at the tap and use a digital thermometer under the running water until I reach the temp I want.
You can also microwave the water or put a kettle on the stove

Always check the temp with the proper thermometer before use..
Old 09-12-2010, 12:44 PM   #16 
weluvbettas

But dosent the water cool down eventullay??
Old 09-12-2010, 12:49 PM   #17 
MrVampire181

I start my hatchery with HOT water. Add conditioner, salt and eggs. Then I plug in my airline tubingand they hatch by the next day.
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 12:57 PM   #18 
weluvbettas

I have dipped the cup into one of my heated tanks to make the water temp in the cup rise and hopefully i will have bbs tommorow. Do i need to feed the bbs?
Old 09-12-2010, 12:59 PM   #19 
Oldfishlady

Quote:
Originally Posted by weluvbettas View Post
But dosent the water cool down eventullay??
Yes, the water will cool down in the BBS hatchery-but it is a non issue for me due to I feed it fast-I feed the BBS with egg yolk intact other wise they have little nutrition and the fry still starve to death or will get poor growth and development. You can see a sudden death twirl and parasite/pathogen with poor nutrition.
You need to get two BBS hatcheries going about 12h apart to provide the needed nutrition when feeding just BBS

As you are finding out...the easy part is spawning...the hard part is raising and feeding the fry...this can be tricky and a bit harder for some especially when your not set up to provide and meet the needs of growing fish

You can do it.......get another container of BBS going-3Tlb aquarium salt to 1 gallon of 85F water to 1/4tsp/BBS and add an airstone-you should have BBS with yolk sac intact within 18-24H
Old 09-12-2010, 01:01 PM   #20 
MrVampire181

Actually I have a defective heater which goes to about 93 degrees. I'm gonna put my hatcheries in a 2.5 gallon with that heater and see the results. I'll update later.
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote