Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-12-2010, 12:04 PM   #21 
weluvbettas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfishlady View Post
Yes, the water will cool down in the BBS hatchery-but it is a non issue for me due to I feed it fast-I feed the BBS with egg yolk intact other wise they have little nutrition and the fry still starve to death or will get poor growth and development. You can see a sudden death twirl and parasite/pathogen with poor nutrition.
You need to get two BBS hatcheries going about 12h apart to provide the needed nutrition when feeding just BBS

As you are finding out...the easy part is spawning...the hard part is raising and feeding the fry...this can be tricky and a bit harder for some especially when your not set up to provide and meet the needs of growing fish

You can do it.......get another container of BBS going-3Tlb aquarium salt to 1 gallon of 85F water to 1/4tsp/BBS and add an airstone-you should have BBS with yolk sac intact within 18-24H
The hatchery was set up about 1 and a half day ago and up until now i was prepared with everything to feed the fry it was just the eggs never hatched so it was only this morning when i found out i was now unprepared. :)
weluvbettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 12:09 PM   #22 
Oldfishlady

Its always a good idea to practice before hand to make sure you can culture/hatch food needed IMO...having everything is one thing...knowing how to do it is another....

But-I have confidence in you.......you can do it.......you may lose a few fry but even the experienced breeders lose fry and stuff happens......just part of the hobby..........we learn-we grow-and move on with more knowledge.......
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 12:11 PM   #23 
MrVampire181

Exactly, I used to raise fry on one hatchery...didn't work. Now I have four hatcheries and an extra one just incase.
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 12:11 PM   #24 
weluvbettas

Just checked on the fry and there all fine. The fry dont seem to move much. Are they hiding from the male? (im doing the leaving male with fry method)
Old 09-12-2010, 12:13 PM   #25 
weluvbettas

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrVampire181 View Post
Exactly, I used to raise fry on one hatchery...didn't work. Now I have four hatcheries and an extra one just incase.
I also have a infrosia culture going as well basically its just a tub full of live plants on my window ledge. :)
Old 09-12-2010, 12:18 PM   #26 
Oldfishlady

Great...is the infusoria culture cloudy-if so dip a cup of water out and add to the fry tank...see your prepared........
Old 09-12-2010, 12:20 PM   #27 
weluvbettas

Yeah the water is cloudy and full of algae (does this sound like infusoria?)
Old 09-12-2010, 12:31 PM   #28 
MrVampire181

I don't use cloudy infusoria water. I have a jar full of live plants and a homemade sponge filter kept well lit. I change 10% of the water every week. cloudy water just dosen't seem healthy for fry, but that's me :) Your culture sounds perfect for them.

BTW I've never left the male with them. Tell me how it goes. I hope you have plenty of live plants (or plastic) and hiding places, because I'd hate to see the male eat them all :(
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 12:31 PM   #29 
Oldfishlady

It hard to say...but if it was me...I would add a cup......small amounts at a time so not to change the water temp too fast-fry can tolerate going from cool to warmer better than warm to cooler.....so if the culture water is warmer than the fry tank water a cup at a time should be safe....

I am so excited for you.......
Old 09-12-2010, 12:35 PM   #30 
weluvbettas

Thanks im gonna add some of thw water to it. The infrusoria tank has little white worm growing up the side is this safe??

Mr vamp
Yeah the male has only eaten the small weak fry but the rest are fine most are actullay sticking close by the male like they want to be with him :) .

Im going to change the water tommorow . I hope i dont suck some fry up.