Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-12-2010, 12:40 PM   #31 
Oldfishlady

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrVampire181 View Post
I don't use cloudy infusoria water. I have a jar full of live plants and a homemade sponge filter kept well lit. I change 10% of the water every week. cloudy water just dosen't seem healthy for fry, but that's me :) Your culture sounds perfect for them.

BTW I've never left the male with them. Tell me how it goes. I hope you have plenty of live plants (or plastic) and hiding places, because I'd hate to see the male eat them all :(
With infusoria cultures-it is the cloud that is the microscopic organisms or infusoria and they feed off the single-cell algae

With some spawns, most really-I leave the male with the fry, I have some set-up that still have both the male and females along with multi spawn and fry of different ages and all is well.

The thing with leaving the male with the fry as long as you can-is one-the male teaches them how to eat and teaches them parental skills-the offspring from fry left long term with the father usually are better spawners and parents IME anyway.....

But very true-without the proper set-up the fry may be doomed...lots and lots of cover is needed and real good feeding of the male especially after the fry are free swimming for a few days. Every male is different IME......
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 12:41 PM   #32 
MrVampire181

Quote:
Originally Posted by weluvbettas View Post
Thanks im gonna add some of thw water to it. The infrusoria tank has little white worm growing up the side is this safe??

Mr vamp
Yeah the male has only eaten the small weak fry but the rest are fine most are actullay sticking close by the male like they want to be with him :) .

Im going to change the water tommorow . I hope i dont suck some fry up.
Add an airstone to the end of some airline tubing, makes a great siphone for fry 1-2 weeks old :)
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 12:48 PM   #33 
Oldfishlady

That is such a good idea MV ...put an airstone on the end of the airline hose.....I still do it the hard way and just put the fry back in the tank after I clean...lol....

I made a siphon with a couple of chop stick attached to the airline hose so that it is stiff and I have more control, my thumb is the control valve and I use an old 1g ice cream bucket and put it on a dark table and use a flash light to look for fry I suck out and either use an eye dropper or my little siphon to suck them in the tip and put back in the tank....so it can take me awhile to clean sometimes....lol....I will have to try the airstone idea from MV next time I clean.......
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 12:53 PM   #34 
MrVampire181

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfishlady View Post
That is such a good idea MV ...put an airstone on the end of the airline hose.....I still do it the hard way and just put the fry back in the tank after I clean...lol....

I made a siphon with a couple of chop stick attached to the airline hose so that it is stiff and I have more control, my thumb is the control valve and I use an old 1g ice cream bucket and put it on a dark table and use a flash light to look for fry I suck out and either use an eye dropper or my little siphon to suck them in the tip and put back in the tank....so it can take me awhile to clean sometimes....lol....I will have to try the airstone idea from MV next time I clean.......
Well my siphon has a straw from a fast food restraunt at the end to make it stiff then I have the airstone on the front. I take it off when they're bigger and can see them better.

About snails: a breeder sent me a plant with snail eggs on it and IDK how I should go about it. I've never used snails before but the eggs havent even hatched but IDK if I should put them in the tank after I remove the male.
Old 09-12-2010, 12:55 PM   #35 
weluvbettas

Thanks can i use some airline tubing as a mini siphon? so it small anothe not to suck up fry?
weluvbettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 12:57 PM   #36 
MrVampire181

Quote:
Thanks can i use some airline tubing as a mini siphon? so it small anothe not to suck up fry?
It will suck up young fry, like under 2 weeks old but if you add an airstone to the end it won't.
Old 09-12-2010, 12:57 PM   #37 
weluvbettas

Quote:
Well my siphon has a straw from a fast food restraunt at the end to make it stiff then I have the airstone on the front. I take it off when they're bigger and can see them better.

About snails: a breeder sent me a plant with snail eggs on it and IDK how I should go about it. I've never used snails before but the eggs havent even hatched but IDK if I should put them in the tank after I remove the male.
I would add the snails in because snails are good clean up crew and they create infrosia .
Old 09-12-2010, 12:58 PM   #38 
weluvbettas

Quote:
It will suck up young fry, like under 2 weeks old but if you add an airstone to the end it won't.

If i added a airstone to it wouldent just bubbles come out the end thats in the tank???
Old 09-12-2010, 01:07 PM   #39 
MrVampire181

Quote:
If i added a airstone to it wouldent just bubbles come out the end thats in the tank???
No because you suck the water like a straw and point it downward. It sucks rather than blowing bubbles.
Old 09-12-2010, 01:12 PM   #40 
weluvbettas

I still dont get ya (im sooo dumb )how do you suck the tube if one end has a airstone on and the other end is in the tank?