Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-12-2010, 11:33 AM   #1 
carryon213

New betta fish owner here with some questions (:

I'm new here, so hello there! (: My name is Kari!
Okay so, yesterday, I got a betta fish. He lives in a 10 gallon tank with blue rocks, 3 fake silk plants, a "broken" columns thingy(don't worry it passed the pantyhose test), a heater, a thermometer and a filter! So, I noticed that when I have the tanks light on, "Noname" doesn't swim around very much, and he just kinda chills on the top of the water on the left side of his tank. He pretty much looks dead when he does this, he even kinda starts tilting to the side. Why does he do that? But, when I turn the tank light off, he swims around does his thing, so I was like "Oh he probably just doesn't like the light!" So should I just keep the light off or should I turn it back on and he will just get used to it? :/ I just want him to be happy and he seems happier with it off!

Oh, and I put him in the tank yesterday and the water seems kinda cloudy today(not very cloudy!! but it's not as clear as it was yesterday but it's still pretty clear) Why?! :o

Thanks for your help and reading all of this, I really appreciate it ;D
carryon213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 12:02 PM   #2 
Oldfishlady

He may just be adjusting to the larger space and new home-I would give him some time and limit the time the light is on for about a week-start with 2 hours and increase by an hour each day until you get to 8-10h

I would also start making some water only changes of 50% daily for 2-3 days and then twice weekly while the tank is cycling-schedule your water changes with the lights on time, vacuum the substrate every 7 days and give the filter media a swish/rinse in old tank water with a water change 1-2 times a month and when the water flow slows to get the big pieces of gunk off to keep good water flow.

Feed small amounts if he is eating-if he is not eating wait a couple of days and try again-he will be fine without food for several weeks so don't worry about him starving and remove any uneaten food

What is your water temp?

Love to see pic of your Betta and set-up.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 12:14 PM   #3 
carryon213

My water temp. is 78 degrees, and I posted pictures in the Betta Pictures place :P
and okay. So would I have to change 50% of his water today? Isn't that too much for a 10 gal. tank? I thought you were only supposed to change like 25% every few days...but I mean idk much about fish keeping lol so just wondering :P
Old 09-12-2010, 12:37 PM   #4 
Oldfishlady

The more water the better IMO/E-the water is the driving force behind fish health and over all well being....this is their environment after all........

Large water volume water changes won't slow the cycle-the nitrifying bacteria are sticky and adhere to everything in the tank, the top layer of the substrate and in the filter media, very little are in the water column itself-so water changes will not hurt the cycling process, however, over cleaning inside the tank, too frequent vacuuming and over cleaning or changing the filter media can stall the cycle and even cause a mini cycle.
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 01:36 PM   #5 
carryon213

alright cool! thanks ;D
Old 09-12-2010, 02:12 PM   #6 
Alex09

When I added live plants to my tank I had to keep the light on for most of the day. At first my little guy didnt like it. he would just hide in the back or under the plants but he got used to it. He's back to his normal self now and I keep the light on for 12 hrs a day. He also has a piece of driftwood with a big hollow part in it. So if he wants to take refuge from the light, he can.
Alex09 is offline   Reply With Quote