Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-13-2010, 11:46 AM   #11 
tigahunta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfishlady View Post
Lots of different way to spawn this species-it is finding what works best for you and your breeders. I spawn using a more natural environment and allow natural selection with most of my spawns....Like Indjo posted-if the spawn is really important and you need the lines-you do thing different.

I use the full to the top full of water 10g, but I also use heavy natural planted tanks with soil substrate and sand cap.

You lower the water level for the male not the eggs/fry-breeders with big heavy long fins can have trouble swimming back and forth gathering eggs during spawning and tending after spawn, especially if not conditioned.

I am not even sure I would use any added heaters if my night time temp stayed in the 80F area, how is you humidity? if you are dry heat-you may want to use a plastic veggie wrap over the fry tank to get healthy labyrinth organ development-at least until they are 6-8 weeks old-

The male is ready to spawn at anytime-the female needs at least 3 day between spawns.

I can't say that in my experience the tank size or set up has had anything to do with how big the spawn was or survival numbers.
I have found that it is more related to the male himself and overall heath of the eggs/wigglers/fry and water conditions.

I like to use 10g full to the top with water for my main spawning tank, but I have been doing an experiment this summer with a 5g bucket with 1male and 2females with great success.

Spawning this species is fairly easy IMO/E-it is the fry rearing that can be tricky for some. The right foods and clean water are so important especially for the first 3-4 weeks
So the water level in the container for artificial hatching is immaterial?

Well it's quite humid inside my house. By the way I'm yet to see an aquarium heater in Sri Lanka, let alone buy one lol

And I've been reading your outside spawn thread way before I joined. Did you try repeating that method?
tigahunta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 12:09 PM   #12 
Oldfishlady

I first tried a multi spawn method last summer in the house using a NPT 10g tank. I only used 1 male and 1 female in that one-my goal was multi spawns and interaction between the breeders and fry-the end result was lots of fry-neither male or female seen eating fry...but, the older fry did eat the smaller fry-so I started removing the big fry to 20g grow-out...now, about 20 both male and females of these fry (now adults) still live together in a 75g NPT-some pulled for breeding and other sold.

I do have another experiment set-up, actually several going on...lol....but in one I have 1 male and 5 females in a NPT 20g- lots of spawning but no live fry as of yet.....

As far as artificial hatch-I use about 2 inches of water and once free swimming I add more water up to 3-4 inches and then they go in the 10g NPT.
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 12:48 PM   #13 
tigahunta

Doesn't the male get overly agressive after spawning concludes and start attacking the female? This is what usually happens one of the reasons why remove the female. I don't want the female to be brutalised by the male.
Old 09-13-2010, 01:01 PM   #14 
Oldfishlady

I would not recommend new to the hobby or new breeders to try what I do......I have been doing this for a very long time and I am home to move fish if needed. Due to the design of my set-ups I can do some things that other may not be able to do.
I have a much different plan in my breeding projects than most.

All Bettas are different as well as far as personality and aggressive nature IME. In normal breeding/spawning-I would highly recommend that the female be removed after spawning and depending on how important the eggs/fry to remove the male after the fry are free swimming.

I don't see the male becoming more aggressive toward the female after spawning in my set-ups-but this is due to the massive plants killing his line of site. I keep tall plants so that the female can go to the top without being seen by the male and I found that this also works in sororities as well with overly aggressive females.
Old 09-13-2010, 09:44 PM   #15 
tigahunta

Care to share more about the set-up? What kind of tall plants do you use?
Old 09-13-2010, 10:08 PM   #16 
MrVampire181

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfishlady View Post
I would not recommend new to the hobby or new breeders to try what I do......I have been doing this for a very long time and I am home to move fish if needed. Due to the design of my set-ups I can do some things that other may not be able to do.
I have a much different plan in my breeding projects than most.

All Bettas are different as well as far as personality and aggressive nature IME. In normal breeding/spawning-I would highly recommend that the female be removed after spawning and depending on how important the eggs/fry to remove the male after the fry are free swimming.

I don't see the male becoming more aggressive toward the female after spawning in my set-ups-but this is due to the massive plants killing his line of site. I keep tall plants so that the female can go to the top without being seen by the male and I found that this also works in sororities as well with overly aggressive females.
I like natural setups but I use the hobbyist method. I have used a big plastic tub filled 3 inches with water, tons of live plants and a cave surrounded by a thick area (more like forest :P) of plants. It has worked twice, with success.
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 08:06 AM   #17 
Oldfishlady

Any type of plant will work-I use vals, sags, hygrophila, as well as the roots from the water lettuce that hang down....great way to block the line of site

MV has a good method as well, lot of different method to spawn and rear fry-you have to find what work best for you and your breeders, I have to make little tweaks with my methods from time to time myself.....tropical fish love to keep you thinking....lol.......
Old 09-14-2010, 08:16 AM   #18 
tigahunta

http://twitpic.com/2ociys - The HM female who I spawned with a male has built her own bubble nest. So much for gender roles. Has this happened to anyone else?
Old 10-01-2010, 05:39 AM   #19 
tigahunta

Exclamation New Problem

I have a batch of fry who are now well into their 3rd week. So I thought of spawning the same pair again. I put the pair into a 5 gallon circular tub with plants on one side. After about a day when I checked the male was guarding the nest. But it turned out he has eaten the entire spawn.

Then I moved the pair into a 60 gallon planted tank out side. And today morning after they were fed they spawned again. After a few hours when I checked the spawning has ended and the female was in the opposite corner and the male was guarding the nest. But I could clearly see that his stomach was full of eggs. So I removed the female and male cos of the tub inccident.

I should also mention that when I took him out of the tank last time he spawned successfully he went into a depression and even contracted ich.

Is it normal for males who spawned successfully before to act this way? ( He doesn't seem to care much about the nest)

Is there are a way to stop him from doing this?

So there are few eggs left in the tank, water level is about 8 inches deep. I have no idea whether they will hatch or not. Last time I tried artificial hatching it didn't work ( I think it was due to rain). Any ideas?
Old 10-01-2010, 05:47 AM   #20 
tigahunta

Exclamation Pics

Male after I took him out of the tank and the tank I used for spawning.
Attached Images

Tags
breeding, egg yolk, fry, grow out tank, spawn eater