Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-01-2010, 07:23 AM   #21 
Oldfishlady

That is a cool looking tank....

Something is wrong with the eggs would be my guess-since you had one successful spawn from this pair-not a lot you can do about the male eating the eggs except to an artificial hatch and if the eggs are bad to start that won't do much good.......I would use a different female and see what he does with those eggs, if he eats them...then its him....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 11:22 AM   #22 
tigahunta

Thanks. That tank is heavy even without the water, you need at least two people two move it. 4 sides cement, single side glass.

Besides this female I'm left with 2 other HM females. White one with a red outline and white one with a light green outline. Which one should I use to breed with the male?

The green one had jumped outside of the tank. Lucky for her she was alive though completely dry. She's ok now. And the red one is a little smaller. It's raining again outside. I think I'm gonna avoid the monsoon season for spawning. Don't know what's gonna happen to the eggs outside. Sigh...
Attached Images

tigahunta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 11:43 AM   #23 
Oldfishlady

In my outside spawns-the rain (heavy) and the water that ran off the building into the bucket didn't harm the nest and eggs under the floating water lettuce.

Which female best complements your male?
Old 10-01-2010, 12:06 PM   #24 
tigahunta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfishlady View Post
In my outside spawns-the rain (heavy) and the water that ran off the building into the bucket didn't harm the nest and eggs under the floating water lettuce.

Which female best complements your male?
I don't have any water lettuce.

Seize wise why the Green one. Looks wise you tell me. I very much appreciate your advise.
tigahunta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 12:37 PM   #25 
Oldfishlady

Go with what you like and what pleases your eye...spawn both......lol....
Old 10-01-2010, 01:06 PM   #26 
indjo
TFK Moderator

your male definitely looks like an egg eater. IME some males are unpredictable, sometimes he is a good breeder but on the following spawn he eats everything. If you're going to use him again, I suggest that you artificial hatch the eggs.

You said your previous artificial hatch failed due to rain. If it's the rainy season at your place, cover the tank. It won't cook your bettas. In fact it will keep the temp stable. Or you could move your eggs to a plastic bowl or something similar and let it hatch inside the house. After 24 hours check and remove eggs that have gone bad (I use a toothpick/home made small stick). After 3 days acclimate and move to grow out tank.

If you have another male, I suggest you use that one. Egg eaters (IMO/IME) shouldn't be spawn too soon because he will always eat his eggs. But if you don't, you have to try to be there when they spawn and immediately remove either the male or the eggs.

If you're using a planted setup, you should add more plants. At least 1/4 - 1/2 the tank, all in one end. Then after fry are free swimming distribute the plants or reduce them to make cleaning and controlling easier.
I would age my water to give infusoria time to grow, specially in an outside tank like yours.
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
breeding, egg yolk, fry, grow out tank, spawn eater