Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-11-2010, 08:31 PM   #1 
ma3lstrom13

New Betta

Hello bettafish.com,
I am the proud owner of a new betta just bought yesterday. I've set him up in a 10 gal tank in my room ( parents refuse to let it be anywhere else ). My question is my new betta doesn't seem to want to eat? and hides whenever I approach to feed it. Am I feeding it wrong? Should I just put pellets in and let it eat when it wants to? Or is it just acclimating to the new environment (I've read that it does do that). My girlfriend said she got it to eat a pellet last night when it came up for air, but I missed that and he wont seem to do that for me.

Also, there is a rather small hole in a decoration that the betta seems to hide in but I'm afraid he will get stuck. He has gone in and out but if he gets any bigger I'm sure he will be stuck. It is also a seemingly tight fit and I don't know if it will ruin his fins. He is fairly shy so far so I can't quite see all of him.

Pics soon!

Thanks
ma3lstrom13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 08:54 PM   #2 
Euphie101

Congrats on your new betta. My first betta, when I first got him, didn't eat pretty much at all. He may not be seeing the food, or could just be getting acclimated to the new tank. He'll settle down and eat in a few days. If you are worried about the decoration he might get stuck in, remove it. Better safe than sorry. You should probably not have plastic plants (Get silk or live) as his fins can snag on plastic plants. I hope this helps!
Euphie101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 12:53 AM   #3 
ma3lstrom13

Thanks Euphie101. The pagoda I got him also has fake plants on it. I'm not sure what kind they are. The other plants are actual lucky bamboo. As a new owner I know it is a little ambitious to have live plants but rest assured, it is not completely submerged. The top along with the leaves are above the water. I left some food in before I went to dinner and I don't see it in the tank. I know it could just be stuck somewhere and should not assume that the food was eaten.
Old 09-12-2010, 01:38 AM   #4 
ma3lstrom13

Also, is it too stressful to move/ rearrange while the betta is in the tank?
Old 09-12-2010, 02:56 AM   #5 
Waterbottle2

Congrats! He is beautiful!
Waterbottle2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 10:23 AM   #6 
Euphie101

It can be a little stressful if you try to move things while the betta is in the tank. If you got him in a cup, save that cup if you didn't already get rid of it, and use that to hold him when you do water changes or pretty much whenever you need to remove him. The bamboo is fine, I think, as long as the leaves are above water, like you said they are in your tank.
Euphie101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 10:32 AM   #7 
karlhague

Hey mate, Soak any dry pellets in a bit of tank water before feeding.

This will stop the pellets swelling up in your betta's stomach and causing him to bloat
karlhague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 12:01 AM   #8 
dramaqueen
Banned

It's common for new bettas to not eat until they get used to their surroundings. Give him some time.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote