Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-12-2010, 07:04 PM   #1 
Ajones108

Cool Cycling my 5 Gallon - Wohoo!

The tank has been set up for about a week now with nothing but live plants, water conditioner, white gravel, heater, and a filter. I wasn't sure what I was going to do with it because I was going to add Shif eventually to give him more space, but I didn't know how soon.

Tired of being indecisive, I finally just started it.

Day 1 - Here we go again. Bumped tank temperature to 83 and added 10mL of bacteria.

Ammonia - 2.0-3.0ppm achieved by adding 4 drops of "pure" ammonia
(10% janitorial strength, no additives, bought at Ace Hardware)
NitrIte - 0ppm
NitrAte - 0ppm
pH - ... What the crap is up with my pH?

First two are Low Range Test, 1st one is the tank 2nd one is my tap water.
Second two are High Range Test, 1st one is the tank 2nd one is my tap water.

Is my gravel screwing with my pH? I'm so confused. Nothing has been put into that tank except gravel and plants, and ammonia, and water conditioner. @_@
Ajones108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 01:38 PM   #2 
Welsh

If your using gravel specifically used for aquariums then that wouldn't mess with your Ph unless its for marine aquariums and has calcium in it.
Welsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 01:51 PM   #3 
Ajones108

It's just regular Topfin gravel from Petsmart... I am going to do another water prams test after class here in a bit. I couldn't even figure out what my ph was trying to read last night from those tests.
Old 09-13-2010, 01:56 PM   #4 
Welsh

Do you use tap water? some people have high ph levels so this would most likely be your problem
Old 09-13-2010, 02:34 PM   #5 
Ajones108

Those tests are both the tap water and tank water and I use tap water in my tanks with Prime. I don't understand why the ph would be that high or different.
Old 09-13-2010, 03:21 PM   #6 
Welsh

Ahh, sorry I got confused on that part of your question lol.

Take some of the gravel out and put a few drops of vinegar on it, if it fizzes then its no good and you should then remove it all
Old 09-13-2010, 03:33 PM   #7 
vaygirl

I'd wait until it's cycled to worry about ph. You don't wanna mess with it anyway. Has the tank been sitting out? Typically you'll get a different ph with water that's been sitting out then water that's straight out of the tap. My ph is always higher in the tank then out of the tap.

Also, if ANY of the ammonia testing fluid is in the tube it gives you a crazy high ph reading. Usually it's vivid purple though.
vaygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 04:03 PM   #8 
Ajones108

Welsh: I might do that with a sample of the gravel in the tank later.

It has been sitting out a bit. I let it run for at least a week and a half before I finally decided I was going to cycle it. Water prams coming in a moment. :)

Also, Vaygirl: I noticed in another thread (I'm all over the place o.o) that you mentioned white and stringy poo hinting at internal parasites. My blue CT has been pooping white and stringy frequently for awhile now but he's a major bubblenester and shows no other signs of real agitation, and eats like a pig. He doesn't act like he's got parasites and he eats Atison's Betta Food 3 in the morning and 3 at night and I occasionally pop him another with no bloating. D: Should I be concerned?

Testing tank water now in the 5g.

Edit: How is your luck with wisteria? Do you like it? Does it shed like hornwort? Because I'm over hornwort, it shed needles all over my 5g >_>
Old 09-13-2010, 04:20 PM   #9 
Welsh

I love wisteria, it grows really fast and is easily propagated it is by far my favourite plant and personally I don't find it sheds at all, i have the occasional floating leaf but I can deal with that
Old 09-13-2010, 04:21 PM   #10 
vaygirl

It is a symptom of parasites. For him since he seems to be eating, I'd try the garlic soak food method. OFL is the one who usually recommends that I think. You could pm her for specifics. It will probably clear him out and it would be a much more natural way of doing it.

Wisteria rocks. It does shed the occasional leaf if you move it around too much but other then that it's awesome. If you put it in a corner, be ready for it to snake around towards the light. It messes with your aquascaping if you have something specific in mind as to where plants should go. With wisteria I've learned to just let it grow and grow and grow. I've gotten maybe 20 plants from the cuttings I've taken from my first plant.

I hated hornwort when I had it many many years ago. Same thing. What a mess. :/
vaygirl is offline   Reply With Quote