Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-20-2010, 11:04 AM   #31 
Lion Mom

Glad to hear about Shif's tail. As far as Survivor's tall goes - it may NEVER grow all the way back in, sadly. However, ya gotta love & admire him for his guts & will to live!!!!
Lion Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 11:35 AM   #32 
Ajones108

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lion Mom View Post
Glad to hear about Shif's tail. As far as Survivor's tall goes - it may NEVER grow all the way back in, sadly. However, ya gotta love & admire him for his guts & will to live!!!!
He's a lively little guy. :)
Ajones108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 01:12 PM   #33 
Ajones108

Day 10 - Almost there!

In two days, the water prams have changed to...
Ammonia - 0ppm from 2.0-4.0ppm
NitrIte - 5.0+ppm
NitrAte - 20ppm - 40ppm

This tank is death right now, even to my plants, which are slightly browning. >_> The fantastic news is that the ammonia went down completely to 0 in 2 days of adding the drops. The nitrIAtes are still high but I'm going to go ahead and do a 30-40% WC to get the levels down and add a couple drops of ammonia. I'm looking at this tank being ready by the end of this week. :)
Old 09-22-2010, 04:11 PM   #34 
Ajones108

Day 11 - Oh my God

Okay, so I never got around to that partial WC. So I never added more ammonia. Overnight, my nitrites went from 5.0+ppm... to nothing.

Water prams:
Ammonia - 0.0ppm
NitrIte - 0.0ppm
pH - not tested
NitrAte - still waiting for it to develop

Once I get done with this post, and the nitrAte develops, I'm going to do that water change since the levels are getting low and my wisteria isn't looking too good. This tank is a few days away from being cycled. :)

Edit: NitrAte is between 20ppm-40ppm. GO PLANTS! :D Doing a WC now, and adding ammonia. Stay tuned.
Old 09-22-2010, 07:08 PM   #35 
Lion Mom

OK - now I AM confused!!!

Your numbers are good (zero where they need to be) and the partial water change will bring down the nitrates, so isn't it cycled? Why add ammonia at this point?
Old 09-23-2010, 12:04 AM   #36 
Ajones108

Once the ammonia is 0 and nitrites are 0, and you do a water change to bring down the nitrates, adding 2.0-3.0ppm of ammonia is ideal to see if the tank really is fully cycled. If the tank is fully cycled, that 2.0-3.0ppm of ammonia will be gone the next day, and the tank is ready for the fish. <3

On that note, I still never got around to that water change because I had to go fabric shopping. I'm not going to my morning class in... 7 hours, so I'll do the water change then. To make sure the cycle will be fed though, I added a drop of ammonia. -.- But tomorrow DEFINITELY the water change. x.x
Old 09-23-2010, 02:42 PM   #37 
KukaaKatchou

This just confirms I don't have the patience for a well cycled tank :(
KukaaKatchou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 02:52 PM   #38 
Lion Mom

"I'm not going to my morning class ......"

Are you skipping school??? SASSY - LOL!!!!

Thanks for the explanation - I too would never have the patience for a fishless cycle!
Old 09-23-2010, 07:28 PM   #39 
dramaqueen
Banned

It sounds to me like it's cycled.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 12:29 AM   #40 
Ajones108

Day 12 - lol

So, I just did that water change. I did not go to class, but I slept it off. :p Tomorrow I'm going to class, then coming back and cleaning the other two tanks, and studying for my test tomorrow night.

I didn't test the water before I did the change. Actually, I was going to get lazy, and not even do the change, so I added 3 drops of ammonia to the water. XD WELL, then I looked at the tank, decided I wanted to move my wisteria, and instead did a gravel vac to get debris out, and did about a 75% WC because I added ammonia and was trying to get the Nitrates down. After changing the water, I tested it again.

pH: 7.4
Ammonia: 0.25ppm
NitrItes - 0ppm
NitrAtes - 5.0ppm

I'm adding 3 drops of ammonia, doing a re-test, and I'll let everyone know the results tomorrow night. :) If the ammonia is gone and nitrAItes are low, then I might just be acclimating Shif to this water, and moving him in. :)

Question, to everyone here. How high is too high for nitrAtes? My testing kit goes all the way up to 160ppm and I was wondering how high was too high for nitrAtes to determine when I'd have to change the water. Is 5.0ppm too high? :S