Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-29-2010, 04:39 PM   #81 
Adastra

Sounds great--glad to hear everything turned out for you. Hopefully a more condensed account of your crash-course cycling experience will convince others to consider using the fishless method in their own tanks. :)
Adastra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 04:43 PM   #82 
Ajones108

I am very thrilled to finally be putting him into the tank, but it will be so worth it. Healthy fish, beautiful, easy to maintain tank... How much more could a college kid ask for?

Not to mention Survivor will be getting the rest of the gravel from Shif's old medium critter keeper, the wisteria in the critter keeper, and the 25W heater instead of the hydor mini so I can finally fill his tank up. XD His tail is looking lovely, new pictures will come this weekend, if not sooner.
Ajones108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 05:03 PM   #83 
Ajones108

90% new 10% old now. And I got his cup floating in the tank. Boy he didn't like that water exchange, he barely had any left. lol. Very soon he shall be free. :D
Old 09-29-2010, 05:30 PM   #84 
Ajones108

Shif is IN the tank. :D

Although we have a slight problem. I'm using a plain-jane filter sponge on the filter to slow the water flow/redirect the flow. But it still seems to be too strong for him. He's found the hard spot of the flow, and the spots where the flow is slower. In this tank he can't really corner surf. >.> I'm going to keep adjusting the little sponge thing and try to slow the flow a little more, but I might have to make a store-run for a better sponge since this one seems to be too small to make a difference. Ho hum.
Old 09-29-2010, 05:43 PM   #85 
Ajones108

... That is not good. Even with the pre-filter sponge on the intake, I just noticed that his tail rays got pulled towards it. Now I have to figure out how to soften this filter internally...
Old 09-29-2010, 07:59 PM   #86 
Lion Mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajones108 View Post
I have Narcolepsy, Lion Mom. :)
http://www.webmd.com/sleep-disorders/guide/narcolepsy

Yeah, the temp is staying between 80 and 82 now. I can't really get much better than this, so acclimation is starting now. I'll keep an eye on that heater at all times.

50% old tank water 50% new tank water with temperatures both around 82 degrees
WOW - that must be TOUGH!!!! Hope you are able to control it with some of the steps they have on WebMD.

SO glad you FINALLY got him in. Any pics yet? :)
Lion Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 10:38 PM   #87 
Ajones108

Tomorrow when I'm off of class I'm going to put the intake tube back where it was, Lion Mom. I want to be able to watch him to make sure it's not too strong.

As for the sponge, if I pull it down it begins to overflow over the top.

He seems to be doing excellently though. He's learned where the calm spots are, where the currents are, etc. I'm going to continue to monitor him though, because if he starts struggling I'm gonna have to cup him.

As for the Narcolepsy, it really is tough. I'm on medication for the rest of my life and with college it's even more difficult because once I get tired, I can't study. It's terrible.
Old 09-30-2010, 11:44 AM   #88 
vaygirl

That's a challenge I can't imagine.

I'm glad you got everything worked out. He'll adjust to the filter. Tango lived with a 30 gallon rated filter for over a year. And don't worry too much about his fins getting sucked to the pre-filter. My guys do it sometimes and it doesn't hurt. It gets coated with slimy bacteria anyway so it's not really rough. He should be alright. I'm glad he's in! :)
vaygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 11:54 AM   #89 
Lion Mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajones108 View Post
Tomorrow when I'm off of class I'm going to put the intake tube back where it was, Lion Mom. I want to be able to watch him to make sure it's not too strong.

As for the sponge, if I pull it down it begins to overflow over the top.

He seems to be doing excellently though. He's learned where the calm spots are, where the currents are, etc. I'm going to continue to monitor him though, because if he starts struggling I'm gonna have to cup him.

As for the Narcolepsy, it really is tough. I'm on medication for the rest of my life and with college it's even more difficult because once I get tired, I can't study. It's terrible.
Hmmmm - perhaps a bigger aquarium sponge/foam is in order?

SO glad he is doing well & can't WAIT to see pics of the whole set up!

I just can't IMAGINE how tough living with Narcolepsy is!!! I have heard of it, but never knew anybody with it before. Not that I really "KNOW" you, but you know what I mean. Best of luck to you dealing with it.
Lion Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 01:05 PM   #90 
Ajones108

Pictures and a video coming in a couple minutes. :)

Lion Mom - I know what you mean. :p Thank you. My mom's been diagnosed for 12 years and I'm actually on the same medication she is just on 2 pills a day instead of her 3. They just had to up my dosage a couple weeks ago.