Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-12-2010, 08:37 PM   #1 
Buddha

Ein needs some help ASAP

this picture is when he was new to the tank, looked to be in great health, now his stomach is twice as big. 10gallon tank, heater (78degrees), and Filter. 5 tetra's living in the tank in perfect health. here is were our story begins;

So i purchased my betta 7 days ago, he wasnt super lively to begin with, but i figured it was because the little bowl the LFS had him in. Bring him home and slowly introduced him to the new tank (in glass vase, adding a little bit of tank water every few hours to it while he floated in the tank) Once released into his new tank he went right to a single corner and hid there, swam fine and seemed happy in his adjustment period.

its been 7 days and he hasnt ate, very lethargic, swollen tummy (scales protrude on his stomach) and laying on the surface sorda on his side. does not move except to get a breath of air, but when poked swims with full strength away from me. Please help me figure out what the heck is goin on!
Attached Images

Buddha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 08:50 PM   #2 
Euphie101

Maybe a pic of him currently would be helpful as well.
Euphie101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 08:56 PM   #3 
Buddha

in his current state
Attached Images

Old 09-12-2010, 08:58 PM   #4 
Euphie101

Wow he's super bloated try fasting him for a couple of days. Maybe someone more knowlageable will stop in here, but I hope he gets better! -Not to worry you, but on his belly to me from the picture he looks like his scales are staring to pinecone but it could just be my imagination-
Old 09-12-2010, 09:01 PM   #5 
Buddha

they are starting to pinecone, he hasnt eaten in 7 days...what should i do?
Old 09-12-2010, 09:03 PM   #6 
Euphie101

If they are starting to pinecone that's not good news. To me it looks a little like dropsy, with the pineconing and bloating. Once they start to pinecone it's ususally not a good sign...
Old 09-12-2010, 09:08 PM   #7 
Buddha

is there anything i can do to fix it? what would have caused this to happen?
Old 09-12-2010, 09:13 PM   #8 
Euphie101

I don't think (if it is dropsy) that there's anything you could do at this point but I could be wrong. Like I said, I'm not an expert about diseases, but if this was me, I would google dropsy, symptoms of dropsy, and medications to cure it, etc. since it will probably get you faster results than here for this particular case. Good luck with him, I hope he's able to pull through!
Old 09-12-2010, 09:23 PM   #9 
Buddha

well this just sucks, the more i read the more "doomsday" it becomes, i really liked the little guy. ive been doing a mix of fresh filtered water, salt, and a conditioner and changing it daily. but looks like its to no avail. If anybody has any ideas please let me know.
Old 09-12-2010, 10:11 PM   #10 
Ajones108

His body does look like it's starting to pinecone. :( If it is dropsy, there is nothing you can do. The poor conditions he was living in at the pet store probably spurned his organ failure causing fluids to build up, bloating him and causing his scales to stick out... Just hope and pray it's not dropsy and just a temporary thing...
Ajones108 is offline   Reply With Quote