Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-12-2010, 10:33 PM   #1 
BettaBlu

Unhappy Bleu on the bottom of tank

I'm a new betta owner I've had Bleu for about 3 weeks today. He was doing great in his fish bowl but I flet bad keeping him in there so I put him in a 1.5 gallon tank he didnt love it in there so yesterday I picked up a 5 gallon tank with filter light and heater. I used tap water but put water conditioner in it. I originally piced up betta pellets but he kept spitting them out so I picked up freeze dried blood worms and hes been eating 3 two times a day. Today he is laying on the bottom on his tank swiming up for air a couple of times looking around then going back to the bottom. I tested the water and it came back fine. The tank water is 81 degrees. I really dont want him to die or to be sick I want to help him and I dont know what to do please help me!!
BettaBlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 10:35 PM   #2 
Ajones108

Is he just resting on the bottom of the tank? No other physical signs of illness?
Ajones108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 10:40 PM   #3 
BettaBlu

When I walk over he doesn't get up and look at me like he usually would.
yesterday when I put the tank together I had a background on the back of the tank and on one side and I think the one side that had a background made a mirror and he was fighting himself for a while. Once I noticed what was going on I took it down and he calmed down. I covered the filter so the current itsnt strong and doesnt push him around.
He swims around every now and then gets some air and goes back down its totally not like him. I'm not sure if hes in shock because of the tank changes or because of his refelction he was fighting yesterday. i was reading up and they say bloodworms get them sick? What am I suposed to feed him if thats all he'll eat? The only signs of him being ill is laying at the bottom of the tank and not responding to me at the tank.
Old 09-12-2010, 10:52 PM   #4 
Ajones108

LIVE bloodworms can make them sick. freeze-dried bloodworms are fine in snack-like quantities but should not be used as a every-day food source. Just give him time to adjust to the tank changes. Is he laying on his side on the bottom of the tank?
Ajones108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 11:00 PM   #5 
BettaBlu

What kind of food do you think I should get for him? I have the aqueon betta food pellets but he spits them out. so i only give him the freeze dried blood worms.
He isnt laying on his side just straight.
My 2 boys won him at a street fair along with 2 gold fish. We kept him seperate from them. They both died day 2 and 3 of having them. We had them in the 1.5 filtered tank. The last one I think had bladder disease because he couldnt swim straight he could only swim upside down. After the second one passed I cleaned the 1.5 tank out put new treated water and then put bleu in but he wasnt happy in it now hes inthe 5 gallon.
I hope its just that he has to get ajusted to it.
Old 09-13-2010, 12:20 PM   #6 
Adastra

Could you please answer all the questions in this thread? http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=49233

You've gone over most of it, but it will be easier to evaluate the fish's current situation if all the information is in one place. As for the blood worms--freeze-dried foods can cause some of the worst constipation I've ever seen in fish. They aren't nutritionally complete either--it would be comparable to you eating beef jerky every day. Personally, I have completely cut freeze-dried foods out of my fish's diets because I've had such problems with them.

I recommend getting a higher quality pellet and supplementing his diet with frozen foods. Good pellet brands include: OmegaOne Betta Buffet Pellets (my favorite), Atison's Betta Pellets, Ken's Betta Crumbles, and New Life Spectrum. Hikari makes wet frozen foods for fish that are more nutritious and digestible than freeze-dried. I recommend frozen blood worms (for protein) and frozen brine shrimp and/or daphnia (for fiber).

If you must use the freeze-dried foods, do so sparingly, and always let them rehydrate in tank water for at least 5 minutes and break them into small pieces to make them easier to digest. Soaking the pellets in tank water will also make them more digestible and palatable to your fish.
Adastra is offline   Reply With Quote