Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-12-2010, 11:38 PM   #1 
metalbetta

Exclamation Odd Rescue...

Fire Bellied Newts.

Went to visit mom tonight so we could watch the True Blood season finale... Which rocked.

But I happened to notice my brother's newt cage's water level was EXTREMELY low. There was barely enough to cover their bodies, and it just broke my heart. These guys have been around since I was in elementary school.... I'm guessing they're approx. 9 or 10 years of age. I read somewhere they can live as long as 30 years. I'm astonished they're still alive after this neglect. So I took them home with me. The picture below is of them about 10 minutes ago. I'm guessing their growth was stunted?

Anyway I know it's an odd question and all, but I've read certain amphibians can live with bettas. I'm starting a 10 gallon betta sorority... Is there any way I'd be able to stick them in there without problems? Are they compatible at all?

Please, don't heckle if it's an obvious no, I don't ever deal with amphibians so I would have no idea as to whether or not they would be able to fit.

I have their appox 2.5 gallon critter keeper here, and I'll be using that for the time being. But it's so nasty from all of the neglect I really don't want it in my house. Not to mention I'd rather not have another tank lying around.

Any input is appreciated, thank you.
Attached Images

metalbetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 11:51 PM   #2 
truthequalslies

I've read Fire bellied newts secrete toxins from their skin I have one myself it lives with a guppy and an apple snail I wouldn't recommend it since they will eat a fish mine is just a sweety :) if you lived close I would take em they also only need an inch or two of water to stay moist and prefer cold water like a goldfish (their from china) and prefer being in a dark area

I hope this helps :)
truthequalslies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 12:05 AM   #3 
metalbetta

I have two here...
I just read they prefer 68 degrees of water... Some prefer mostly water, but the "occasional odd newt will spend a lot of time on land"... I've discovered one of them loves the water, while the other much prefers land. He/she's been basking on the edge of the bowl... Though I set up an island for him/her... lol.

Speaking of which, how do i tell gender?

Will probably be rehoming them with a friend once I get them back to health...

These guys are significantly smaller than all of my bettas. Even my females. I'm talking serious growth stunt. I'm heartbroken to see them like this! So darn cute too.
Old 09-13-2010, 12:10 AM   #4 
metalbetta

68 degrees... temperature. Totally came out wrong. lol
Old 09-13-2010, 12:14 AM   #5 
TharBePirates

We looked into getting a pair before we got bettas. They prefer colder water, so they wouldn't be good tank mates.

I'd suggest a nice five gallon (or even better, ten) with a 75-25 water to land ratio with something slanted for them to use as a beach to get up on the land. They prefer to be in the water more than on land, but they still need the land. Also you can fill the tank up only partially or so. They like some shrubbery or drift wood on land to hide under, and some bogwood in the water that sticks up on the surface I've head is nice too.

Hope that helps!
TharBePirates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 12:39 AM   #6 
metalbetta

That's what I was thinking. And yes, that helps a lot! Trying to find something slanted I can use for them to get on land, but I'll post a picture of my makeshift set-up. It's only 2.5 gallons, but that's all I've got for the time being. I have an empty 10 gallon but I'm in the process of setting that up for the sorority.

One of the newts really is not a fan of going into the water right now. I'm wondering if that's due to an illness? The water is dechlorinated and at room temperature, and the other newt is having a heck of a time exploring, but the former is just sitting on top of the island. looking around and making noises, but really does not want to be in the water.
Old 09-13-2010, 12:53 AM   #7 
metalbetta

[[Mods, with the direction this thread is going, the off topic forum might be best.. Sorry for the inconvenience]]

Here are a few pictures of what I can do with what I have. Not sure what I'm going to do about a bridge yet..

The water looks cloudy in the full tank pic due to the horrible quality of that old 10 year old critter keeper. it's scratched up and I think it's stained as well. Like I said it breaks my heart to see these little guys in the condition they were in...

I may have found someone who would be able to take them in. Keeping my fingers crossed!
Attached Images

Old 09-13-2010, 12:58 AM   #8 
TharBePirates

Occasionally you get newt that prefers land to water, which just means you might consider giving him a bit more land space (or just halving the land to water ratio, to they both get what they like best). Just make sure the earth on his little patch of land is soft (no gravel, delicate bellies) and you might want to just watch him for a few days to make sure he's not ill instead of merely peculiar.

Also, lurking on some amphibian forums always helps. They'd be a good deal more informative that me, who only knows all of this via lurking on amphibian forums lol.
TharBePirates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 08:03 AM   #9 
truthequalslies

The males tend to have a larger I guess u can say anal area lol due to certain endowments =P its best to look online cuz they. Usually hav example pix,,,also a. Heads up they shed and they may bite @ eachother to help remove the old skin ,,,what are they fed? It may or may not have somthing to do with the stunted growth I feed. Mine. Live bloodworms and frozen brine shrimp also its recommended to feed Them every other day
Old 09-13-2010, 08:15 AM   #10 
truthequalslies

Here's a pic of my lil newtsy about a week after I got it