Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-13-2010, 03:45 PM   #1 
ysera

breeding gone bad...help!!

hi everyone, i need help or info on what causes the sickness of my betta's, right now im sad and clueless, i got 1 female crowntail and 1 male crowntail for a month now, the female lives in a 5 gallon tank with 3 panda corys and some live plants, the same goes for my male, and they are both filtered, the temperature is 82, i do 100% water change once a week, and i feed them hikari betta biogold 2 pellets at morning and just a little dried bloodworms at night, and they are healthy and very active!, then one night i decided to breed them, and put them both in a 3 gallon tank with half water in it, i use tap water with water conditioner, a plastic cup and a divider, after 2 days i release the female since the male already made a bubblenest, i even start to culture my bbs, so i left the 2 and go to sleep, then when i wake up something strange happens, the female is at the bottom with her gills and her tail has some white stuff on it!! but the male dont have it, so i take the female and put her back in her tank after 5 mins or less she died!!! and my male becomes lethargic and acting like sick, he doesnt even flare anymore when i show him another betta, i tried to feed him 1 pellet and he tried to bite but he can't even put it in his mouth and just leave the food floating, and now hes just on the bottom of the tank, im really confused ive checked the body of the female and theres even no bite or tail, fins, missing thinking that the male beat the crap out of her but none only those white stuff, on her tails and gills, the male also dont have any scratch on him and his fins are fine no damage at all, i dont get it and it all happens in just one night!!
ysera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 03:55 PM   #2 
Ajones108

I've heard that some males get lethargic just after breeding. As for the female, I have no idea... Someone else experienced in breeding could help you with that...
Ajones108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 04:02 PM   #3 
Oldfishlady

Sounds like the tank crashed with 2 fish in 1.5g of water and high stress that follows.
It is hard to say 100% without more information and I don't like to be overly critical of people...... but what you did was not good and you set yourself as well as the fish up to fail with the end result of a death and possible death of a second fish.

I would get the male in QT and start making some 100% daily water changes with aquarium salt 1tsp/gal for 10 days, hold all food for 2 days and then offer half feedings-
If you have either IAL or oak leaf I would add this too, make sure and add something to the QT tank to help make him feel secure-you want a stress free environment and clean dechloranated water-so no lights, no filter etc.......good luck I hope he pulls through...

I would also recommend that you do some research before your next spawning attempt to help increase your chances for success.
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 04:18 PM   #4 
ysera

thanks for the advice guys, actually this is my 3rd time breeding bettas i usually breed guppies, the first and second i breed is halfmoons, and its successful with 70+ fry's and they are 2 months old now, this is the first time i breed crowntails, and i do keep researching till now bout bettas =) fascinating creatures thanks oldfishlady, thats what ill do with my male now
ysera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 05:01 PM   #5 
Oldfishlady

Breeding Bettas is a lot different than guppies.......

Would love to see some pic of your HM's sub-adults-what was your feeding/housing plan with them for grow-out......how many HM did you get from the HM X HM spawn

Love to hear more about your Bettas and breeding plans
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 11:54 PM   #6 
dramaqueen
Banned

A half filled 3 gallon container is not an appropriate size container for breeding. A 20 gallon or larger is recommended.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote