Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-14-2010, 11:47 AM   #1 
sidfishus

Help!!/new betta!!!!

I just got my first betta and want another one but i doubt my mom would let me get another one unless someone is willing to give me one or can't take care of it also post pics of tanks with dividers I also want some live plants so give me some feedback thanks!!:)
sidfishus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 12:30 PM   #2 
Adastra

How big is the tank you're wanting to divide and plant? The plants you choose really depend on your lighting, substrate, and your willingness to invest in fertilizers/root tabs. We need to know more in order to give you better advice.
Adastra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 12:33 PM   #3 
sidfishus

2.5 0r 1 gallon i might buy a bigger one!
Old 09-14-2010, 12:37 PM   #4 
Cassandra90

That is way to small to be a divided tank, you will need atleast a 10 gallon.
Cassandra90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 12:45 PM   #5 
Adastra

There's a big difference between 2.5 Gallons and 1 Gallon--if your tank is one gallon, you should be doing 100% water changes every other day in order to keep the water clean and safe for your fish. If it's 2.5 gallons, you should be doing 100% changes every 4 days.

Plants that would do well in these tanks are java moss and java ferns, maybe anubias nana. I suggest upgrading to a larger tank in the future and definitely not getting anymore bettas until you can house both properly. Have you gotten your fish a heater yet?
Old 09-14-2010, 12:50 PM   #6 
sidfishus

I'm thinking of getting another tank to divide not this one it has no filters or heaters just white gravel and a no fishing sign plus I only have to clean it every to weeks my friend who keps bettas that live7 years told me he gave me all this stuff!
Old 09-14-2010, 01:00 PM   #7 
Adastra

Every two weeks is nowhere near enough--fish constantly excrete ammonia through their gills. Kind of like their version of urine. In nature, ammonia is consumed by beneficial bacteria and broken down into less toxic compounds and is consumed by plants and diluted by much larger quantities of water. However, in a small bowl you have to perform those functions instead.

Ammonia is highly toxic--it can lead to several health problems as well as death--and believe me, ammonia poisoning is a terrible way to die. Ammonia can burn the fish's gills and cause them to shed their slime coats, which is very torturous to them. Your friend sounds like a nice person to give you all that stuff for your fish--but they don't know how to properly take care of them.

You should take the time to do research for yourself and read this care sheet: http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=49160
Old 09-14-2010, 01:05 PM   #8 
sidfishus

oops i said every two weeks i meant 100% once a week and 10% if it gets cloudy
Old 09-14-2010, 01:13 PM   #9 
Adastra

That's a little better, but you can't get away with weekly changes unless your tank is at least 5 gallons--which it doesn't seem like it could be. I think you should measure the volume of your tank. You can use a measuring cup--16 cups = 1 gallon. After you've measured it we can help you come up with a water changing schedule.
Old 09-14-2010, 01:25 PM   #10 
sidfishus

yup 1 gal.