Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-14-2010, 02:08 PM   #11 
sidfishus

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidfishus View Post
yup 1 gal.
Thanks for your help I'm ready for a shedule!
sidfishus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 02:10 PM   #12 
Adastra

You should be changing it every other day, then. Remember to condition the new water with dechlorinator and match the old temperature of the water. You should let your fish acclimate to the new water for about 20 minutes before you put him back in. Once you get the hang of it, water changes are easy and don't take very long at all. At some point, though, you should really upgrade to a larger tank that can be heated.

Most high quality heaters are designed for tanks two gallons in size or more.
Adastra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 02:21 PM   #13 
sidfishus

I can't do it every otherday thats to ften my parents would killme it gets cloudy in a week so maybe weekly. thnx though maybe you could make a new one?
Old 09-14-2010, 02:51 PM   #14 
Adastra

Why wouldn't your parents want you to take proper care of your animals? I think that's a pretty weird assumption about your parents.. if they make a comment about it you can explain to them what you've learned about your fish's needs. I think they would be impressed. Once a week is just not enough. Clean it as often as you possibly can until you get a larger tank.
Old 09-14-2010, 02:54 PM   #15 
sidfishus

I don't know why but I wan't to do it every other day are you talking about 100% changes?
Old 09-14-2010, 03:03 PM   #16 
Adastra

If you're not willing to take care of your pet, you simply should not have one. It's the same thing as taking a dog home from the pound and then locking it in a closet and only taking him out and cleaning the room once a week. It's animal abuse.

When you bring home an animal, you're making a promise to them to take care of them. This means providing them with a healthy environment, and that takes work. You have to commit to putting out a certain amount of effort--and it doesn't take much effort to do a simple water change. This is your responsibility--if you can't handle it you should take him back to the pet store.

100% changes are easy. Just put the fish back into his cup and pour the water in the tank into the sink. You can use a strainer so you don't let any gravel go down the drain. Rinse the tank and the gravel with hot water, then adjust the temperature of the tap water until it feels the same as the water in the fish's cup and fill up the tank. Add dechlorinator and wait for it to set in and for the nitrogen to dissipate. It doesn't take long. Then just float the fish's cup in the water. Every few minutes pour some of the water in the cup out, and put some of the new tank water in. After about 15-20 minutes the fish will be acclimated and ready to go back in his tank. This only takes about 5 minutes of real work, and the rest is just checking on him periodically through the acclimation. Easy.

Last edited by Adastra; 09-14-2010 at 03:07 PM.
Old 09-14-2010, 03:20 PM   #17 
sidfishus

I understand, its not god darn animal abuse if the pets store, betta fish owner friends, and a stinking vet tell you its ok. Don't you dare call me an animal abuser we put my bbest friend black lab down yesterdayhe was 13 and i loved him he was very old and not well. Never call me an animal abuser you huge jerk!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by sidfishus; 09-14-2010 at 03:30 PM.
Old 09-14-2010, 03:25 PM   #18 
Adastra

I can't help it if you want to keep your fish that way. I used an analogy so that you could better understand what it is like if you keep an animal in a small space without concern for proper sanitation. It would be doing you and the rest of the world a disservice if I stopped insisting people took the best possible care of their fish possible just because it's inconvenient to them. If you don't want to do such frequent water changes, you should simply get a larger container with a filter and learn how to cycle it.
Old 09-14-2010, 03:32 PM   #19 
sidfishus

Angry

Oh well your reported that'll teach you jerk!!
Old 09-14-2010, 03:36 PM   #20 
Alex09

Adastra has given good sound advice.

Here's my 2 cents:
1. Many petstores dont know anything about PROPER fishkeeping
2. If your friends know as much as you about fishkeeping they dont know much either.
3. Vets don't study fish. 99% of vets focus on mammals, birds, and reptiles depending on their career. There are not too many fish vets. Those that do exists most likely take care of sharks and such.

You come here for advice but when you get it you dont like the sound of it and as such decide not to take it. No one is going to make you take care of your fish. We are just telling you what works. FACTS. So if you insist on being stubborn and immature then feel free to walk away. Stop acting like a little pouty kid.

By the way, reporting Adastra wont accomplish you anything. Anyone who reads this thread can see that he's doing his best to help.

Last edited by Alex09; 09-14-2010 at 03:40 PM.
Alex09 is offline   Reply With Quote