Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-12-2010, 06:52 PM   #1 
1997chevy

Betta sick... Help

My Betta leonard has been the best fish since i got him last August I've kept him in the same maybe 3 liter vase i bought him in. He has a nice live plant with long roots. I used to changed half of his water about every week using distilled water. I waited about two weeks for his last change and noticed that the water was really slimy, i proceeded to do half and he perked up and seemed fine. That was about a week ago. now he has took a turn for the worst he is laying on the bottom barley moving and he wont eat. prior to now I've never knew to do any readings so i don't know those. he is kept at room temp, right now i have a thermometer by his tank it says it 71. I put some "Betta Water Conditioner" in his tank about an hour ago no change.

HELP please
1997chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 07:04 PM   #2 
1997chevy

I miss read it its 78
Old 04-12-2010, 07:41 PM   #3 
DarthMaul
Banned

he needs an entire NEW habitat. those live plant vases and distilled water are death to bettas =[ the plant and long roots rob the betta from fresh oxygen from the surface, half a water change once a week in a habitat that small is not enough and distilled water is missing a lot minerals and nutrients that tap water would have. if you can, get him a brand new temporary habitat ASAP, use tap water with conditioner, add some aquarium salt, keep him in a warm, dark, and quiet place so he can hopefully get better =[ never wait 2 weeks to change water in a habitat that small. you gotta keep the water super, super clean right now
DarthMaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 09:10 PM   #4 
1997chevy

I took the water to get tested and the ammonia was .5 and the ph was .3
everything else was fine
Old 04-12-2010, 09:20 PM   #5 
1997chevy

ph was 6.3
Old 04-12-2010, 09:36 PM   #6 
vaygirl

They're not testing for trace minerals. Darth is right. You can't use distilled water for fish. You should be changing the water way more often, like twice a week. There should not be any ammonia at all. Use tap water with the water conditioner added instead. Try and match the temp of his water now so it causes less stress. All water conditioner does is remove harmful chlorine and other chemicals from tap water.

My recommendation would be to get him a larger space that can support a heater. He needs a contant warm temp. 80 would be ideal. With smaller containers their temp can flucuate a LOT and that leads to listless behavior and a slower metabolism. He could also be sick from ammonia. Clean, clean water, warmth and time.
vaygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 08:57 PM   #7 
ppcat62

Hi, my fish is doing something similar. He has stopped eating and is "falling" for lack of better words to the bottom of the tank. He does perk up for a few minutes that back to the bottom, also right off his food. Water clean, warm with heater and filter. conditioner and aquarium salt. Anyone??? help please???
ppcat62 is offline   Reply With Quote