Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-14-2010, 12:12 PM   #1 
fleetfish

Possible popeye

I really don't do this very often - get a sick fish from the LFS. But this poor VT boy was looking so pathetic I had to get him out. His cup was DISGUSTING. He's in rough shape, especially his eyes. They are clouded over and "puffy" looking, but not popped out completely. I really hope I caught it early so that he can be treated. He also has ammonia burns on his fins, and possible fin rot/biting. His body looks good, not overly thin or anything ... just sad.

Right now he's in a heated sterilite tub with salt. I bought some maracyn just in case it does turn out to be popeye. As of now, he's looking okay, unclamped and zooming around the tub so he's probably feeling a little better.

I'll get pics ASAP. I've named him Pocket because that's where he was all the time I was riding home on the bus, snug in my pocket :)
fleetfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 12:29 PM   #2 
Ajones108

Cute name. :) Keep us updated.
Ajones108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 12:41 PM   #3 
weluvbettas

Nice name! Yeah keep us updated!
weluvbettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 12:52 PM   #4 
bettalover2033

Take pictures of his face for us to determine if its popeye! Also i hope he feels better and you did an amazing thing to take him in!
bettalover2033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 02:12 PM   #5 
fleetfish

Okay, here he is. From what I can see by just looking at him is that his right eye is cloudier than his left.

This one is the best I could get of his poor eyes .... There's definitely some swelling in both.
Old 09-14-2010, 02:46 PM   #6 
bettalover2033

Aww poor fish!! Well if i were you i would start treating him for popeye!!
bettalover2033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 03:20 PM   #7 
fleetfish

So the plan is to keep his water pristine (water changes every other day), with some added salt for his fins. Plan B is using the maracyn in case the popeye gets really bad. Keep your fingers crossed for Mr. Pocket :)

And he pooped! *cheers*
Old 09-14-2010, 04:15 PM   #8 
Oldfishlady

Personally, I would do 100% daily water changes for 3-4 days and if no improvement then go to the salt treatment-if he has swelling/edema I would use Epsom salt if it is just wounds I would do aquarium salt-dosage of 1tsp/gal up to 3tsp/gal along with 100% daily water changes for no longer than 10 days

If you don't see improvement or he seems to be getting worse after 4-5 days you may want to start the antibiotics.

I love your Bettas name......
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 05:20 PM   #9 
fleetfish

Thanks for the advice, OFL.
Old 09-15-2010, 02:42 PM   #10 
fleetfish

Update time!

Pocket is improving very nicely and his eyes look much more normal now, still a a little clouded and swollen, but better than yesterday. I've done a water change today and added a medicinal amount of aquarium salt. He's a very scared little guy. He will dart away at the slightest disturbance so I've placed some black material over the hospital tank to keep him calm. He has eaten three pellets as far as I know, which is awesome. He's not clamped up, great to see him feeling better. And . . . I see bubblenest bubbles on the surface! So all in all Pocket has improved wonderfully since I picked him up yesterday. His fins are still a wreck, but I'm optimistic that they will grow back without any trouble.