Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-14-2010, 04:05 PM   #1 
weluvbettas

What do ghost srimp eat......??????

I currently have three ghost shrimp (picking up thourth tommorow) I feed them algae wafers currently. Is this ok? Also how do i tell if i have a males or females? And how do i get them to breed?? can they breed in freshwater??
weluvbettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 09:44 PM   #2 
meeka

Im not really sure how you tell them apart when they arent full of eggs.
They will eat whatever your betta doesnt eat, betta poo (thats what I was told at an LFS, but not sure how true it is) and algea.
I put a big piece of tropical flake on the bottom and they all love to go and nibble it. Today 2 were sitting there waiting.
I think they would probably eat wafer/algea discs as well.
I know that they also love frozen fish food community dinner. An LFS store near you may have this one of something similar.

(the one in the pic is for turtles, but they are all in the same packaging)
Attached Images

meeka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 12:37 AM   #3 
JorgeBurrito

Quote:
Originally Posted by weluvbettas View Post
I currently have three ghost shrimp (picking up thourth tommorow) I feed them algae wafers currently. Is this ok? Also how do i tell if i have a males or females? And how do i get them to breed?? can they breed in freshwater??
Ghost shrimps are scavenges and will eat just about anything, although algae is probably not a preferred food. You might look at getting a sinking flake or pellet fish type food for them, they would do better on that than algae wafers (if your LFS if big enough or online outlets actually sell shrimp/crustacean food). Sexing is tough to do without seeing eggs. Get enough ghost shrimp and you will see a female with eggs, but raising the fry can be a bit difficult. They like slightly salty water and presuming you have them in with a Betta, even if he ignores the adults it is almost a guarantee he will see the fry as a tasty snack. Maybe in a heavily planted tank with lots of moss you might be able to do it .
JorgeBurrito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 12:17 PM   #4 
Capricorn

Thought I'd add that I put a few too many blood worms in my tank for my betta today, and now I have a couple fat and happy ghost shrimp sitting around.. they each grabbed one, took off to a plant, and ate it like a long string of spaghetti hahaha.

Another food to add to the list of things they'll eat. Going to try some bottom feeder wafers as well, they'll prolly go for that too.
Capricorn is offline   Reply With Quote