Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-14-2010, 04:13 PM   #1 
sidfishus

Talking Drift Wood!!!!!!!!

Hi my mom collects drift wood she finds at the beach so it is real and I was wondering if it was safe to put in my bettas bowl and if so do I have to treat it first thanks for future comments,and please post betta tanks with drift wood in it.
sidfishus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 04:31 PM   #2 
Oldfishlady

I use/collect driftwood locally all the time without any problems-I usually will boil it for at least 30 min on some and on others all I do is scrub it really good. I like to soak it for at least a week or so and then I use a spoon and dig and scrape any soft spot out/off.
Depending on the type of driftwood and if it is water logged or not-it may or may not release tannins-they are harmless generally but can tan the water-I like the look of the tanned water but most don't, a water change or fresh carbon will take it out
Sometimes, again depending on the type of wood and if it is totally dry-it can still release some sap, most sap will not cause a problem and sometimes you may see some white looking growth on the wood-generally this is also harmless to the fish and most algae eaters, shrimp and other livestock will eat it and it usually will go away on its own as well if nothing eats it, but you can also remove it manually too if it bothers you.
Watch the fish and if at any time they start to act odd make a 50% water changes and remove the wood.....always better safe than sorry.......but overall it is usually safe to use collected driftwood in my opinion/experience.......
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 04:37 PM   #3 
sidfishus

Thank you I'm just a little confused could you dumbit down abit?
Old 09-14-2010, 04:41 PM   #4 
puppyrjjkm

But since it's from the beach, wouldn't it leak like toxins into the water since it was submerged in salt water?
puppyrjjkm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 04:47 PM   #5 
sidfishus

Question

Idk thats why I asked but I don't want to use it if there's a doubt..............
Old 09-14-2010, 05:41 PM   #6 
Adastra

If it's been in salt water it's not a good idea, since old wood is very porous it would probably continue to leach salt and other minerals even after it's boiled. If you want use found wood, you should get some from hardwood species, like oak. Definitely avoid softwoods and especially evergreens, like cedars--they have toxins in their sap that help the tree kill insects. Cedar really shouldn't be kept with any animal for this reason, even though many companies market cedar chips for small mammals, it really isn't good for them at all.

Once you find a hardwood piece, you have to clean it very thoroughly, boil it, and soak it. You can find more detailed directions on how to do this by searching a little bit. It's really easiest just to buy pre-soaked wood from Petco, though.

Last edited by Adastra; 09-14-2010 at 05:45 PM.
Adastra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 05:53 PM   #7 
sidfishus

Thanks sorry about earlier
Old 09-14-2010, 06:10 PM   #8 
Adastra

We all have our moments. :3 No biggie. After all, it's all about the fish.
Adastra is offline   Reply With Quote