Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-13-2010, 05:04 PM   #1 
carryon213

How to I get my betta to like me?

Sometimes when my betta is near me(i have his tank next to my bed) I put my finger up to the glass and he retreats, but if I leave it there he flares up at it :/ I want him to like follow my finger around lol I think it's so cute when fish do that ;D Soo yeah how do I bond with a fish...??
carryon213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 05:50 PM   #2 
bloo97

Try watching him...let him get used to you. Do the waterchanges, feed him, and try to spend as much time with him as possible. Hope it helps!
bloo97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 05:51 PM   #3 
fleetfish

My new female Deja is still trying to "get" me. She's a shy little thing, but is slowly coming out of her shell. Just give him time and soon he'll associate you with food and good things. Or it could just be his personality :)
fleetfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 06:02 PM   #4 
JKfish

The quickest way to a betta's heart is through his stomach. XD

When ever you feed him, make sure he sees your face, and notices your hand. Stay by to watch him eat. :) Eventually he'll realize you mean he's about to get fed, and he'll also associate your hand with it as well, and will follow your finger around.

Just sitting near him will get him used to you, don't worry, he'll warm up to you soon. :)
JKfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 06:40 PM   #5 
carryon213

thanks for the tips (:
Old 09-13-2010, 07:06 PM   #6 
Adastra

Yeah, usually for the first week or so, I try to stay away from the tank unless it's during feeding time to avoid accidentally traumatizing him or anything like that. He'll soon associate you with food and dance whenever you come near. :)
Adastra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 07:25 PM   #7 
betta99

It takes a little while but your betta will get used to you. My betta even warmed up to my camera. First, he would shy away, but now he flares at it.
betta99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 07:34 PM   #8 
carryon213

haha (: when i went to feed him this morning i put my finger in the water to get his attention and then i fed him and i think he's starting to get the picture because when i got home from school i went to his tank to see how he was doing and he swam over and then went to the top of the water looking for food haha xD
Old 09-14-2010, 07:55 PM   #9 
shell85

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKfish View Post

When ever you feed him, make sure he sees your face, and notices your hand. Stay by to watch him eat. :) Eventually he'll realize you mean he's about to get fed, and he'll also associate your hand with it as well, and will follow your finger around.

Just sitting near him will get him used to you, don't worry, he'll warm up to you soon. :)
Yup me and my betta started to click a few days after i got him because of food. lol

and now because i soak his food it sticks to the tip of my finger while feeding so now he thinks that nipping at my fingers will make food drop. We also play like this. 'ds stick the tip of my finger into the tank and move it and he will chase it. lol
shell85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 09:45 PM   #10 
Capricorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKfish View Post
This.

xD

Just two days after I got Nettle he realized I fed him when I got out of bed, so I'd get up and he'd already be waiting for me at the top of the tank. (:
Capricorn is offline   Reply With Quote