Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > The Lounge
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-14-2010, 04:33 PM   #1 
ForbiddenSecrets

Unhappy My Dog killed the Neighbors Dog T.T

This was not a great way to start off my day. Now my boy Tidus [a Belgium Shepard] is a large dog but he's not particularly aggressive. He's sweet to humans and he just ignores other dogs when on walks and ect. The only time he gets upset is when other dogs go around his home or run the gates.

This has never been a problem until today. The neighbors little terrier thought it would be a great idea to squeeze through the gate into my backyard despite my dogs warnings and... it was the last mistake it ever made. [I'm going to omit details]

I don't really blame my boy for doing what nature tells him to do, protect his home, but I feel awful for not only the terrier but also for the owner as he was very distraught.

I want to do something to make it up to him but I really don't know what do to/give. Any suggestions anyone? It's been a very tiring morning.
ForbiddenSecrets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 04:38 PM   #2 
doggyhog

Oh gosh.. That is awful. I have been in a similar situation before (Not going to go into depth) and it is terrible. I'm so sorry you had to go through this.

I do NOT blame your dog one bit. If there was any vet care, I would offer to pay for it. Or something of the sort. Or get a pet memorial of some sort made for your neighbor to let them know how sorry you are.
doggyhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 05:04 PM   #3 
ashleyy

Oh my that is terrible!

I know it would make me feel better if I saw that dog as little as possible. At least for a while.
So maybe keeping your dog inside when your neighbor is doing yard work, or whenever you know they spend some time outside.

Also, I would think it would be nice if I received a sympathy card in the mail or on my door step.

And like doggyhog suggested, I would offer to pay or help pay any vet expenses.

It sounds like a terrible situation for both you and your neighbor. I hope everything pulls back together as well as it can very soon!
ashleyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 05:09 PM   #4 
ForbiddenSecrets

Sadly there was no vet expenses - the dog was log expired. =[ Also they live on the hill below our house so keeping Tidus out of sight won't be too much of a problem at least.
Old 09-14-2010, 05:39 PM   #5 
CodeRed

I'm sorry this happened... The same thing sort of happen to us, in that a neighbor's dog kept getting out of his yard and coming up and terrorizing not only our dog, but us as well. He charged my stepdad and brother, and finally we had to sit down and talk to the owner, telling him that if this kept up, we'd have to go to the police. Thankfully they patched up the break in the fence, and that was that, but it was a scary time. He was a brindle, and this took place in fall, so it was very hard to see when he was out there. It was terrifying to go into our own backyard. If we hadn't done this, I imagine we might have ended up with either a dead dog sometime, or injured people.
I'm extremely sad that this happened to you, but the honest truth is is that it was NOT your fault. The dog invaded your dog's territory, and so was trespassing. This means that I do not believe your family can have charges brought up on them. The only thing you can really do is talk to the guy, ask him if there's anything you can do. Otherwise something you do might just make the owner angry. Once again, sorry that this happened ): I hope everything works out.
CodeRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 10:01 AM   #6 
dramaqueen
Banned

From what I know about Belgian shepherds, they are very protective and have a high prey drive. A neighbor's daughter has a Belgian malinois and she's fine around other dogs as long as Julie is there to supervise but she or the other dogs gets put in a crate or room when Julie isn't home. Also, the dog is a retired police dog and she's good with people as long as she knows them and doesn't feel threatened.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 11:58 AM   #7 
Alex09

That is messed up.
One of my neighbors dogs (a little one) got killed by my other neighbors husky. They euthanized him (the husky) at the request of the little dogs owners. The police got involved and everything. But in this case it was the husky who broke into the other persons property. And to be honest I agree with that. Not sure how I would feel if my dog got killed by jumping the fence. He's such a curious little fellow.
Alex09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 12:26 PM   #8 
Adastra

How terrible. It's a pity your neighbor didn't keep his dog properly restrained. Terriers are some of the most common victims of dog attacks. About all you can do is offer your condolences and ask to cover the cost of having the terrier cremated. Impulse control training and socializing your dog with other dogs on your own property might help prevent this in the future.
Adastra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 03:26 PM   #9 
ForbiddenSecrets

We hadn't been aware he would react quite that aggressively to another dog on his property to be honest. We have another dog besides him [a golden retriever] and we used to have a Shiba Inu who expired from age and was quite the mean little thing when we first got her. We also currently have a large mixed cat who is a beast-king and a little Siamese who tried to pick a fight with Tidus a few times.

Not once has he ever even snapped at one of them. To be kinda blunt I think the aggression the small dog always showed Tidus when it came up to our fence [always barking and yipping] might have added to the problem =( That's not to say Tidus wasn't really aggressive in what he did - but rather to say the fight was two sided in its start.

We will however be working with him to make sure this doesn't happen again. c:

Alex09- Very often in cases like that the invading dog is put down because they were a clear instigator. However in cases where the hurt animal was the invader I do not agree with a protecting guard dog being punished. I know it's hard for my neighbor and anyone it happens to. I've had a cat I very much loved get her way into my neighbors yard and not make it out. However, when a dog is protecting its territory, one of the main reasons Man first domesticated dog besides hunting and companionship I can't find it in me to want death as their retribution.
Old 09-15-2010, 11:05 PM   #10 
dramaqueen
Banned

I think the dog was protecting his territory and the terrier made everything worse by being aggressive.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote