Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-14-2010, 07:19 PM   #1 
CodeRed

Urk, slime?

So, I'm tired of this stuff o.o It's now on... 3 or 4 tanks? It's some really disgusting... slime/snot stuff on top of the water. It doesn't seem to bother the fish, but frankly it's very disgusting. Is there any way I can prevent this? I was thinking about putting a bubbler into two of the tanks to keep the slime from building up, but for one of the tanks I just can't do it. What IS this stuff, by the way? Is it some kind of algae? Bacteria? Build-up from something?? And WILL it harm the fish?
CodeRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 12:55 AM   #2 
nochoramet

I'm not sure if you have what I have, but I get a clear, slimy film on the top of my water, but I think mine is from the water conditioner. It's never bothered my fishies, but it might not be the same stuff you have...
nochoramet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 12:24 PM   #3 
Lion Mom

Usually that "slime" is nothing more than dissolved organics - unsightly, but not dangerous to your fish.

To disrupt it, you can filter and/or use a bubbler. Doesn't actually make it go away, but it's a lot less noticeable.
Lion Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 03:40 PM   #4 
CodeRed

Thanks! :3 Now I feel better. I can deal with the "ick" factor of it, but if it was harming my fish...
Old 09-17-2010, 07:52 AM   #5 
Saroar

What color is it?
Saroar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 03:05 PM   #6 
CodeRed

No color. I'm thinking it might be caused by our water getting harder. We need to put more softener in soon. I think it's caused by that because this has happened before, and when we put the softener in it went away, and because this hasn't happened before until now. I'm getting on my parents to put some softener in the water soon.
It would also explain why my CTs fins have been melting exceptionally fast lately.
Old 09-20-2010, 06:04 PM   #7 
Posaune

I think I'm getting the same thing. I noticed it after I put a piece of wood I got from petco in the tank (though it may have been there before, not sure). It's just a clear film on top the water, and when I stir it up, some of it kinda sticks together and clumps so I've beeen netting them out. I plan on having my parents bring my mini filter up next time they come (which should be in early october). But as long as it's not harmful I won't have to worry until then :)
Posaune is offline   Reply With Quote