Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-14-2010, 07:03 PM   #1 
TaylorW

My First Betta!

I just got my first betta for my dorm a few days ago and I love him!! I have him in a 2.5 gallon with a heater. I just wanted to post a few pictures and show him off! And of course any care recommendations are welcome!

This is Victor, my new betta! I love him so much!! He's a royal blue veil tail, but the webcam doesn't do him justice. His fins have a touch of red and green tint to them when the light hits them just right It would also be nice if he would show his face for the camera!
TaylorW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 07:12 PM   #2 
Euphie101

I can't tell by the pics but are those plants real/silk? Cause bettas shouldn't really have plastic plants in their tank. I was also wondering, are those rocks secure, because one of my bettas had a stack of rocks similar to that, and it fell over on him. Luckily I got him out and he's still perfectly healthy, I just want to conferm that so it won't happen to your guy. He's a beautiful boy by the way. ;D
Euphie101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 07:15 PM   #3 
TaylorW

The plants are silk, I made sure of that And actually, the rocks are a solid plastic ornament! It looks so natural, doesn't it?
Old 09-14-2010, 07:16 PM   #4 
TaylorW

Oh, and thanks, I love Victor, he already makes bubble nests and swims towards me whenever I come near!
Old 09-14-2010, 07:29 PM   #5 
zoragen

He's beautiful!

Nice job on the tank.
zoragen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 08:43 PM   #6 
TaylorW

Thank you! Oh, if I do 50% water changes every 2 days and 100% water changes every 4 days will that be ok? Or could I do 2 50% water changes in a row before I do a 100% change? I'm trying to figure out how to schedule water changes so that his water will be cleanest on the weekends when I go home.
Old 09-14-2010, 09:05 PM   #7 
JKfish

Congratulations on your fish :D His tank looks great, and it sounds like he's happy.

You're doing fine with your water changes, even going beyond necessary. I'm pretty sure the recommended w/c for 2-2.5 gallons would be something like 100% water changes every 3-4 days (Someone correct me if I'm wrong)
JKfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 09:14 PM   #8 
TaylorW

Well, it got really gunky and clouded in there cause I think the pet store water was bad. They literally filled Victor's baggie with water from another tank It wasn't even his bowl's water or fresh water. It had poo or old food floating in it... But I put some of it in the tank anyways because he had been in the baggie for over an hour before I put him in the tank and I didn't want to shock him again...

I've been putting Splendid Betta Complete Water Conditioner in tap water, should that be ok for him too?
Old 09-14-2010, 09:24 PM   #9 
JKfish

It should be. However, I hear Prime is an awesome and very economical water dechlorinator, which requires only 2 drops per gallon (which I why I'll be buying it soon).

If you don't mind me asking, where did you get that adorable tank?
JKfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 09:31 PM   #10 
TaylorW

I bought all of the stuff individually from Petland, except for the purple flowering plant and the little floating lilypad. They're both from Walmart. (I'm not sure if you can see the lilypad in the pictures)

The tank's a glass 2.5 gal from Petland, I was surprised it was only 12 dollars! I think the brand is Marina? Not sure though...

And I looked for Prime! But I don't think Petland carries any of the concentrated stuff...