Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-14-2010, 07:36 PM   #1 
Waterbottle2

Accidently got a non aquatic plant

I got two amazon swords (apparently there were 4 in the tube) so thats 8. i've got 3 ferns BUT when i bought the 2 amazon swords I got a plant for free. I accidently bought Gold Ribbon thinking it was a sword I obviously should've been more careful. I have read they are not aquatic but can live in aquariums. Should I take the gold ribbons out of my tank?
Waterbottle2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 07:57 PM   #2 
fishman12

I think so because it might relese toxic chemicals. Better to be safe than sorry!
fishman12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 07:58 PM   #3 
JKfish

I doubt it'll release toxins. It's more likely to rot and make a mess. Return it, and swap it out for a different true aquatic plant :)
JKfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 08:17 PM   #4 
Waterbottle2

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKfish View Post
I doubt it'll release toxins. It's more likely to rot and make a mess. Return it, and swap it out for a different true aquatic plant :)

will do
Old 09-14-2010, 08:28 PM   #5 
Alex09

Will probably not release toxins. Maybe you can lift it up above the waterline and just have the roots hanging in the water? Im pretty sure it will do fine like that.
Alex09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 09:00 PM   #6 
Waterbottle2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex09 View Post
Will probably not release toxins. Maybe you can lift it up above the waterline and just have the roots hanging in the water? Im pretty sure it will do fine like that.

Well i'm not sure if that'll work cause of the light. Are you saying just let em float around near the top?
Old 09-14-2010, 09:27 PM   #7 
meeka

I think its worth a go just planting it as usual. You must of liked the look of it, so just enjoy it while you can.

Ive had a couple of non-aquatic plants in my tank before and they actually started to really thrive. It threw down some roots, but it looked abit messy so in the end I threw them away.

But if you keep an eye on it and it starts to rot, just pull it out and chuck it away. I personally wouldnt let it just float around on the top either.

Plants are something that often need to be replaced in an aquarium anyway. You may get sick of them or feel like redoing your designs.

My betta enjoys tall plants that sit just under the surface, he likes to lay on them and at night he sleeps there

At the moment I have a few hornworts - (ive attched a piccy of one). They are lovely and soft and look very pretty in an aquarium. They often dont produce roots (but a couple of mine have started to yay!). It grows quite easily in a variety of conditions, but the can start to look abit stringy if you have insufficient light.

Have you brought yourself any "plant food" yet?
Attached Images

meeka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 09:44 PM   #8 
Ajones108

Hornworts shed too much for my liking and I'm replacing mine with wisteria as soon as I can >_>
Ajones108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 09:49 PM   #9 
meeka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajones108 View Post
Hornworts shed too much for my liking and I'm replacing mine with wisteria as soon as I can >_>
I havent had that problem yet ............ but if I do I will replace mine as well.

Wisteria is a nice plant too.
meeka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 09:54 PM   #10 
JKfish

If you decided to keep it and let it float, you'd have to make sure the roots are the only things in the water. Leaves and stems would rot over time. You'd somehow have to either make it float like the plants in those horrid betta vases.

Returning it would get you your money back or a better plant that would last you longer.
JKfish is offline   Reply With Quote