Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-14-2010, 07:38 PM   #1 
carryon213

so i definitely thought betta fish were lazy...?

well my friend had betta fish before and hers didn't swim around and she said they were really boring and told me not to get one, but i got one anyway, and Ares is far from lazy. i mean the first day he was kind of but now all he does is swim around his tank!! sometimes he rests in some leaves or in the dark corner of his tank but mostly he's just swimming around doing his thing...xD
did i get some sort of hyper active betta? :o or was my friends bettas just extra lazy?
carryon213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 07:43 PM   #2 
MrVampire181

Quote:
Originally Posted by carryon213 View Post
well my friend had betta fish before and hers didn't swim around and she said they were really boring and told me not to get one, but i got one anyway, and Ares is far from lazy. i mean the first day he was kind of but now all he does is swim around his tank!! sometimes he rests in some leaves or in the dark corner of his tank but mostly he's just swimming around doing his thing...xD
did i get some sort of hyper active betta? :o or was my friends bettas just extra lazy?
Bettas carry heavy fins around so they need to rest a lot. Also a betta in one of those tiny betta bowl setups isn't gonna act natural/normal because of low temperature and small living space.
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 08:54 PM   #3 
Alex09

If the betta is kept in a small bowl or vase the it will just sit at the bottom doing nothing. Why? because the water is too cold, and the place to small.
Alex09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 06:26 PM   #4 
MrVampire181

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex09 View Post
If the betta is kept in a small bowl or vase the it will just sit at the bottom doing nothing. Why? because the water is too cold, and the place to small.
Exactly. A betta in a 2.5 gallon with heating and filtration will act like it's supposed to rather than sit and do nothing in one of those tiny bowls.
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 06:44 PM   #5 
carryon213

well that explains it :P
carryon213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 09:13 AM   #6 
splyce

Well I have a 1 gallon fish bowl, its all I can really have - but my betta is very active in that amount of space. Swimming around, exploring, making bubble nests, etc. He doesn't seem restricted at all. And he's definitely not lazy :)
splyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 10:05 AM   #7 
Adastra

"Laziness" is often actually lethargy due to cold temperatures and poor water conditions. You should tell your friend to upgrade to a better setup, larger tanks really don't take up very much more space at all. There are many larger options with a very small footprint that will allow you to have a quality heater. Tiny tanks are not a proper long term homes for bettas. If money is the issue rather than size, you can always go to Wal-Mart or Target and get a simple plastic storage bin, these come in all shapes and sizes and while they're not the prettiest option, you can still enjoy your betta through the clear plastic and you can't beat the price. About $3 for a 4 gallon container with a lid. At that price there's really no excuse, in my opinion.

Keep in mind that if you "must" keep your fish in a 1 gallon tank you should be doing water changes every other day.
Adastra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 12:25 PM   #8 
BadPossum

The betta we have is in a 10 gallon tank and it swims all around. It seems to be almost always on the move, swimming though the cave, swimming around the plants.
BadPossum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 12:30 PM   #9 
PucknLoki

your betta is just happy it has such a good home ^^
PucknLoki is offline   Reply With Quote