Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-14-2010, 09:55 PM   #1 
JKfish

I have a few questions and problems...

Well, this saturday, I'm leaving with my older brother and dad to go on his college road trip, because we've got a week long september break! We'll be driving all the way to New York and back, while my little siblings and mom go to Orlando universites/harry potter land.

Being gone the whole week is a mild issue, because right now both my fish are having fin issues, so clean water is a must. I've got one empty 10 gallon tank that I can put one fish in and a cycled tank with 4 harlequing rasboras, with a portioned off section for the other betta. Obviously, a empty 10 gallon tank will stay clean enough for one betta fish for a week, so I'm not extordinarily worried. However, the portioned off section of the cycled one tends to have an oily build up that needs to be rememoved daily because the filter movement doesn't get through the mesh to move the water. If I'm gone a week, I'm worried the oil stuff will get too thick for the other betta to get to air. Is there anyway to keep it away for an entire week?

Also, Puffy recently got pretty sick and recovered. Well, I've decided to disinfect all the stuff that he's come in contact with: the nets, hospital tank, thermometer in the hospital tank, etc would be examples. However, I'll need to clean the heater that was in there as well so it can go in the empty 10 gallon while I'm gone. It's a submersible Marineland Stealth pro, or something like that. Would submerging it in a bleach solution be bad, or can I do so?

Feeding isn't an issue for the bettas, but I'm worried about the harlequins and the ghost shrimp not getting food an entire week. Will they be alright as well?
JKfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 02:03 PM   #2 
JKfish

...Any suggestions?
Old 09-15-2010, 02:10 PM   #3 
BlueHaven

If there is algae in the tank, ghost shrimp will eat that as a last resort. I don't know about Harlequins....but you could by a very small air stone to put on the 10 gallon side, it would create movement so the oil would not build up. That might work, it should be too strong for the betta to swim in if it's for smaller tanks. :)
I hope someone else can help you more, that is all I know of!

And about the heater, I don't know if bleach will damage it, you could try putting it in a separate tank or in the empty 10 gallon first before bleaching the tank and heating it to a high tempurature for couple of hours, that heat would probably kill any or most germs on it.
BlueHaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 03:40 PM   #4 
Adastra

I would put a bubbler on the divided side that has the buildup you're talking about. It will increase water movement and force more water through the divider.

As for the heater, you could use a weak bleach solution--it should be fine. Just make sure you rinse it off in water that has extra dechlorinator in it. Bleach is chlorine, so the dechlorinator should take out most of it, then just let it dry and the rest should just evaporate away.
Adastra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 04:13 PM   #5 
JKfish

Disregard my feeding the other fish question. My little sister can feed them when she gets back on wendnesday or thursday.

I don't have a bubbler, or air tubing. Is there anywhere I can buy one cheaply?

Thanks for the tip Adastra, I'll do that :)