Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-14-2010, 09:37 AM   #1 
MamaKat

Hi there!

Getting ready to become a betta owner again. I had at least 2 growing up- Dillon and Ben, and maybe another 1 or 2 that I can't remember as well. Of course I've already learned a lot from just browsing these forums, but any words of advice would gladly be appreciated. I'm planning on a 2.5 gallon tank compared to the little containers my ones in the past had lived in. I had a 10 gallon tank growing up but it usually held tropical fish.

Hopefully I will be picking up my tank today or tomorrow. Would really like to be able to get my betta as well. Is there a way I can start preparing water now so that it'd be ready later? Feeling a bit impatient and excited. Oh I also have a two year old, 3 month old, 3 cats and a dog. I'm a very busy mama.
MamaKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 11:28 AM   #2 
Ajones108

If you're very busy, then I would recommend a 5 gallon tank, like this one that they sell at Wal-Mart:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Hawkeye-5-...82640589777636

The only thing it's missing is a heater, which you can buy a 50w Hydor Heater at Petsmart to put in it. :) In the long run you'll end up saving time and money because if you establish a bacteria cycle with a filter on your fish tank, you won't have to do as many water changes, and if you decide to go natural and plant the tank with live plants, not only will your betta love you, but you'll love your tank for being so easy to maintain once it's all set up and planted. :)
Ajones108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 01:11 PM   #3 
MamaKat

Thanks. I actually just returned from Walmart with a 5 gallon tank and have it all set up. Have some fake plants in there but bought a back of live pant bulbs that should hopefully grow within 20 days. My digital thermometer doesnt seem to be reading. Not sure what the problem is. I have a heater here too new and I'm not sure if its working.
Old 09-14-2010, 03:15 PM   #4 
MamaKat

So now I'm pretty sure the thermometer and heater arent working. I'm having my husband return/exchange the heater and the thermometer was one of those peel and sticks so I don't think I can return it. I guess I just need to invest in a better one.
Old 09-14-2010, 03:44 PM   #5 
Alex09

Get one of those glass suction cup thermometers that go inside the tank.
What kind of heater did you get? An adjustable one (with a dial at the top that lets you control the temp) is best. My heater has a red light when its on so I know its working.
Alex09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 03:58 PM   #6 
MamaKat

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Tetra-Heater-1-ct/10291808

This is the one I got/had. I'll invest in a glass thermometer once I'm out and about again.
Old 09-14-2010, 04:01 PM   #7 
Ajones108

That's great. :)

Oh, also! If you left the thermometer sticker on the tank, good. I use the sticker AND the glass thermometer on most of my tanks because they keep each other in check. :)

Last edited by Ajones108; 09-14-2010 at 04:04 PM.
Old 09-14-2010, 04:08 PM   #8 
MamaKat

It's still on the tank. I keep hoping its broken and its not because the water is outside the range.

Working on getting pictures but my camera battery died.
Old 09-14-2010, 04:41 PM   #9 
Ajones108

The little sticky thermometers take time, and your heater will take time to heat your water, it won't be instant. :)
Old 09-14-2010, 04:59 PM   #10 
MamaKat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajones108 View Post
The little sticky thermometers take time, and your heater will take time to heat your water, it won't be instant. :)
It was in there for almost 3 hours and it never felt warm to the touch and the "light" never came on. I would have thought it would have felt warm at least?