Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-14-2010, 11:58 PM   #1 
FuulieQ

Question Old age, or Popeye?

So I was told by someone that bettas sometimes develop white rims around their eyes as they age.... Freedy's been with me for over a year now, and I'm not sure how old he was when I got him, so I wanted to post a picture of his eye to see what you guys thought. Seeing as I'm a hypochondriac when it comes to my pets, especially fish where it's harder to know if something's wrong.

As for behavior, he's eating piggily and if anything he's been extremely friendly lately. In fact, to the point that I'm afraid he has an abcess in his brain that's altering his previously grumpy and fearful personality. O.o

Anyway, here's a picture. His right eye looks pretty much normal.

This has gone untouched through a round of Maracyn I. He's currently on break with a water change. I'm going to give him another day and water change and then, if you guys think I should, start Maracyn II.
FuulieQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 10:27 PM   #2 
FuulieQ

;-; ?

I know I'm paranoid, but....
Old 09-15-2010, 10:39 PM   #3 
MrVampire181

Naw he looks fine. I've noticed their eyes get bigger as they grow. TRUST ME you'll know if it's popeye. The eye will be HUGE and cloudy with maybe gill and fin rot (in my cases).
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 11:30 PM   #4 
nochoramet

Yeah, his eyes look like Fishy's eyes. Big and black with that light rim around them.
nochoramet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 01:40 AM   #5 
FuulieQ

It's just so weird and sudden, and only in one eye... Maybe I should do the maracyn 2 as a precaution and see if that does anything?

I mean, the rescue I took in with popeye only looked about like this at first, he was only a little bit worse, and it ended up killing him....
Old 09-17-2010, 01:04 AM   #6 
Adastra

I think he's fine--both eyes are of equal size and there's no tell-tale film.. I have an extended red VT that I've had awhile, he has developed white circles too. :) Besides the eyes, look at the rest of the fish; his color is dark and vibrant, his fins look full, and he seems to be pretty active. This is not a sick fish. :)
Adastra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 01:32 AM   #7 
FuulieQ

Ah, okay. I'm glad you think so. :) I do my best to take care of him and worry about him a lot. I just think it's weird that he only has it on the one eye. I'll watch it closely.

He's gotten so much bolder over the past month. I think upgrading him to the five gallon made him much more confident somehow - I was changing his water today and he almost swam into my turkey baster. :P

I don't have a gravel vac, though .... pain in the butt to try and get a little of the stuff with the baster. D:
Old 09-17-2010, 09:49 AM   #8 
JaspersANGEL

I noticed a while ago that my new guy Romad has those white circles around his eyes, he the first black (dark) bodied Betta I have. And he's active (hates his heater *lol*).

I think this happens to dark bodied Betta's, it's part of their coloring. It's really funny thought
JaspersANGEL is offline   Reply With Quote