Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-14-2010, 11:01 PM   #1 
FinleyFish

HELP! My fish isn't well and I don't know what's wrong

Hi I am new here-I got a betta just over a month ago (this coming Saturday will be 5weeks) and he is acting really unhappy and his side fins seem to be stuck together and they are like just lines because they don't open up and I don't have any idea what it is or what to do! He doesn't really respond when I go in front of the tank like he usually does either and sometimes he puffs up at me also and he hasn't done that before. What is wrong and how do I help him??? I have gotten to love this little guy! I don't want to lose him! What do I do? is there something I need to add to the water or something I need to do with him? is it the water or the fish? I am so confused!!! Please help!
FinleyFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 11:33 PM   #2 
FuulieQ

You're going to need to answer some questions - how big is your tank? Is it filtered? ... hold on, I'll link you to the questionnaire.

[EDIT] Here - http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=49233

Knowing the answers to these questions will help the experts help you. c:
FuulieQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 09:42 AM   #3 
FinleyFish

Housing
What size is your tank? 10gallon
What temperature is your tank? about 75
Does your tank have a filter? I had put one in a few days ago but I took it out yesterday because I thought maybe it was the cause
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? no
Is your tank heated? no-it stays warm enough without a heater I think? Also it stays pretty consistant without a heater
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? my Betta is on his own

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? the betta pellets
How often do you feed your betta fish? 4-5 times a week at 9am

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change? once a week I change part of the water but he has only been in the new tank for a little over a week so it is pretty fresh water also. I just changed some of the water yesterday though again
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 25%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? I haven't added anything. I let the water sit also.

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters? no-it is filtered water though so there shouldn't be anything in it but I have been thinking it might be a good idea to test it. He has done good in it though till now

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? actually this morning his face almost seems to look a little different-it didn't yesterday but this morning it is
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? it almost lost color a bit or might be whitish
When did you start noticing the symptoms? a couple days ago he started acting different and didn't swim around anymore and also his fins sort of seem to be sticking together
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? I haven't because I don't know what to treat him with?
Does your fish have any history of being ill? I have only had him 4.5weeks and in that time he hasn't to my knowledge.
How old is your fish (approximately)? I have no idea-I got him from petsmart.
Old 09-15-2010, 10:04 AM   #4 
Oldfishlady

Are you on well water? I see you don't use a dechlorinator

Your temp is a bit low-I would recommend a heater and keeping the water temp in the 76-80F range. Some Bettas are more sensitive to water temp than others...adding a heater may be what is needed.

I would increase the water changes-10g without filtration or live active growing plants needs at least twice weekly 50% water changes and a 100% every month or so to maintain water quality

I would add the filter and get the tank cycled-you can add a baffle to the filter if it seems to strong of a current for him (look on this site for a DIY baffle information) once the tank is cycled making 50% with vacuum weekly should keep water quality good-provided that you don't over feed and uneaten food is removed after feeding him.
Adding live plants can also help.

You may have posted this and I just missed it...but....how is his appetite? and any other symptoms like flashing or rubbing himself on objects in the tank and can you see anything on his body that looks like grains of salt or a gold powder look?

At this point I would recommend that-add the filter to the tank and cycle, get a heater for the 10g

For the Betta-QT and start making 100% daily water changes for 3 days and see if he will perk up, if not, add aquarium salt 1tsp/gal along with 100% daily water changes for 10 days

If he perks up after the 3 days of fresh clean dechlorinated 100% water changes-add him back to the 10g after you make a 50% and vacuum-acclimate him properly before adding

Make sure water temp is with a couple of degree of old and new water with water changes so not to cause temp related problems and use dechlorinator if in city water supply.

Or, if you can't Qt-start making daily 50% water changes on the 10g for 4 days and then twice weekly unless you add the filter then 50% weekly with vacuum and add a heater

Even when the water looks clear-it can still contain ammonia, nitrite, high nitrate and DOC's and the only way the fix this is with a water change

Anytime your fish is acting odd or change in behavior-make a 50% water only change to rule out the environment as the cause
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 04:49 PM   #5 
Alex09

Water temp is a tad too cold. Sounds like he's lethargic. And with winter around the corner it going to get colder. Get a good adjustable heater if you can find one. 50 watts would be best for a 10 gal.
Alex09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 11:51 PM   #6 
FinleyFish

thanks for the info! I will get on that! yes we have well water with a reverse osmosis system because it is the only way we can drink it ourselves. so I use that for the fish. thanks! I will let you know how it goes.
Old 09-16-2010, 08:59 AM   #7 
Oldfishlady

Your Betta would also benefit from some straight well water too, I would use a 50/50 mix of well and R/O water-but make the switch slow

The reason-R/O water lacks the needed mineral/electrolytes/trace that the fish needs for good health or you can use an additive like "Equilibrium" to replace what is lost in R/O water
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 11:44 PM   #8 
FinleyFish

thanks but our well water is slightly corrosive and kills plants and fish. also it isn't really safe for us to drink so I don't know if it would be a good idea. I can buy stuff to add in to the water though right? thanks.
Old 09-16-2010, 11:53 PM   #9 
Ajones108

It's slightly corrosive? <_< Are you near a nuclear waste facility or something? >_> Just wondering. That sounds icky.
Ajones108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 11:56 PM   #10 
LinuxTux37

Is it slightly corrosive? Or is it really hard water? If it is corrosive, write your congressman :P. If its just really hard water the 50/50 may be ok, but be very careful.
LinuxTux37 is offline   Reply With Quote