Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-15-2010, 12:06 AM   #1 
MrVampire181

Attention All Members Considering Breeding:

Thinking about breeding? STOP!! Think about what you're doing here.

Bettas can average a few hundred eggs, which means a few hundred fry, which means a lot of male bettas who will need to be seperated into jars or divided/flow thorugh systems and eventually found new homes.

Breeding isn't cheap unless you know exactly where to get your supplies. I currently spawn and growout in glass tanks but starting in November I'll be switching to 16 quart plastic tubs for spawning and larger 66 quart tubs for growout. I also ask many people to save jars over 24 ounces for me. I also go to several thrift stores and buy several used Mason jars and I buy new ones as well, you will need at the very minimum 50 jars. Things like heaters and filters (sponge/mini corner filters) are going to average you about $20 each, these are esential for spawning. Also things like a cave for the female and several live plants (you can use plastic but live creates infusoria which fry can eat) are also needed. Things like Indian Almond Leaf aren't needed but I always use some of the extract to induce spawning.

Fry won't eat fry food, to those of you at PetCo reading this on your phone drop that powdered food!!! They won't eat it. I do add some to my tank at around 2 weeks but since new born fry only eat live food it's no use to you for two weeks and if left uneaten it creates bacteria which kill fry. Now you can go ahead and get some tubifex worms and drop it in your fry tank, they'll all attack it and kill it and eat it.....NOT!!!!!! Betta fry need small food, betta fry are so small you can barely see them ok now you've imagined that? Cut the size in half. Yup that's how small they are. Perfect foods for them are: infusoria, microworms, vinegar eels, and baby brine shrimp. Personally I don't use anything but infusoria and baby brine shrimp but I am seriously considering ordering a culture of both microworms and vinegar eels, these need to be cultured at least 3 weeks before you attempt to spawn your bettas. If you want to buy some cultures 1fish2fish has some for sale everytime she re cultures (correct me if I'm wrong :P).

The breeding pair is one of the most important considerations. Personally I think pet store fish are the best fish for a first time spawner, especially veil tails. They aren't as picky as more fancy strains. If you choose to breed petstore fish many people won't buy them if they can get them in a store. Just be warned. To be safe and insure good homes splurge $20-$30 for a good pair of fish and have them shipped to you. You'll get better quality fry and more people who will buy them.

Overwhelming?? YES. For the money issue: don't breed if you can't afford it and don't breed for money, you won't make much. If you can afford it but are a little hesitant and may cut corners: your fry will suffer, and hey it's just money, the joy betta breeding gives is worth more than what your going to spend :)
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 12:11 AM   #2 
Zeetrain

Great post. Its definately a good heads up for people considering breeding.
Zeetrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 01:08 AM   #3 
bettalover2033

Wow amazing! i completely think that profit breeding will not get you anywhere unless a VT LOVER will Just go head over heals for your more expensive fish (that is probably going to be a little more because you think you can just raise the price) and buy tons.(if you get that many or if the fry survive)!
bettalover2033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 09:34 AM   #4 
Capricorn

Great post, Vamp.
Capricorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 12:33 PM   #5 
weluvbettas

Good info for people who think breeding is cheap
weluvbettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 03:26 PM   #6 
1fish2fish

Not only is it expensive but it is time consuming.

Starting at 1-2 weeks old you have to begin doing 50-100% water changes daily. The more water you change the faster your fry will grow. Water has to be taken out slowly and carefully so you can look for any fry that have been sucked up... and yes you will suck up fry. You need to age and heat your water (so you'll need a second heater) because your water needs to be the same temperature as it is in the tank to prevent shock. That means either waiting for the water to rise (or lower) to the appropriate temperature or keeping a barrel/bucket filled with heated water (this is what I did).

You should siphon the bottom of the tank after every feeding. Just enough that you get the food out and then top off the tank. This means that you'll be siphoning the tank 2-5 times a day and changing the water 1 time a day.

That is a lot of time since it has to be done so slowly. Then once you start jarring fry your looking at 100% changes once or twice daily (depending on jar size) for ALL of the jars, in addition to changes for female growouts.

This is not for the faint of heart. It is VERY hard work. If simply changing your fish tanks seems like a chore you are definitely not ready to spawn.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 07:08 PM   #7 
MrVampire181

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1fish2fish View Post
Not only is it expensive but it is time consuming.

Starting at 1-2 weeks old you have to begin doing 50-100% water changes daily. The more water you change the faster your fry will grow. Water has to be taken out slowly and carefully so you can look for any fry that have been sucked up... and yes you will suck up fry. You need to age and heat your water (so you'll need a second heater) because your water needs to be the same temperature as it is in the tank to prevent shock. That means either waiting for the water to rise (or lower) to the appropriate temperature or keeping a barrel/bucket filled with heated water (this is what I did).

You should siphon the bottom of the tank after every feeding. Just enough that you get the food out and then top off the tank. This means that you'll be siphoning the tank 2-5 times a day and changing the water 1 time a day.

That is a lot of time since it has to be done so slowly. Then once you start jarring fry your looking at 100% changes once or twice daily (depending on jar size) for ALL of the jars, in addition to changes for female growouts.

This is not for the faint of heart. It is VERY hard work. If simply changing your fish tanks seems like a chore you are definitely not ready to spawn.
I add water as soon as dad is out and I fill it to the top. I clean as late as possible in the day so I can remove all waste. Most of the time I use an airstone for the first few weeks and a 3 gallon bucket. I check every 15 minuets or so to make sure it isn't over flowing. For the first week it depends on the spawn but it's either 50% or a 75% water change daily. Which reminds me I have to go do that now :P
Old 09-16-2010, 12:31 AM   #8 
dramaqueen
Banned

Good info MrV and good addition to the info, Jackie. I hope people will now understand that breeding isn't something to be taken lightly. You can't just throw a male and female in a 2 gallon container and let nature take it's course. A LOT of things need to be taken into consideration before breeding. The water needs to be changed REGULARLY and fry need to be fed REGULARLY. You can't do these things just "whenever" or it could cost you your fry.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 12:37 AM   #9 
MrVampire181

Quote:
Originally Posted by dramaqueen View Post
Good info MrV and good addition to the info, Jackie. I hope people will now understand that breeding isn't something to be taken lightly. You can't just throw a male and female in a 2 gallon container and let nature take it's course. A LOT of things need to be taken into consideration before breeding. The water needs to be changed REGULARLY and fry need to be fed REGULARLY. You can't do these things just "whenever" or it could cost you your fry.
Thanks and nope you can't just throw them together in any container for that matter. Fry raising needs to be done constantly. Everyone has their own way of doing things as well, what works for me may not work for a new breeder (actually it won't because I do things a new breeder would mess up with, it takes A LOT of time).