Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-15-2010, 08:57 AM   #1 
ppcat62

Exclamation Betta on bottom of tank - Help anyone?

Hi, I am new to this site but thought this might be the best place to find some help. I have a gorgeous BLACK Betta. have had him for 5 months. the past few days, he has become very lethargic and seemed to be resting alot on the bottom of his tank. On closer inspection he looks to be breathing quite hard and will swim up to the top, get some air and then slowly :free fall: for lack of better words back down to the bottom. He has refused food for two days now. I have a small filter in the tank, and heater. water temp is always the same. Food hasn't changed since day one - hikari betta gold pellets with and occasional blood worm. Have had water tested, near perfect. If anyone has any ideas? I really will be upset if he dies, he was the cheekiest fish I have had so far. Thank you so much. Paula in Surrey, BC Canada
ppcat62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 10:21 AM   #2 
Oldfishlady

Sorry you are having problems...have a few questions....

How big is the tank, how much and how often are the water changes, water temp, additives used, filtration (yes), live plants.....
Have your tried any treatment or medications, if so, what, dosage, duration......

Any other symptoms other than lethargic, sinking, no appetite......

Do you have the water pram numbers to post?
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 02:05 PM   #3 
ppcat62

Hi, thannk you so much for trying to help. He is in a one gallon terrarium. When I change the water, I leave it sit for a week to get rid of chlorine and use JungleMate drops with Allantoin to condition the water. I have some med by the same company ICK guard I think it is called which says it will get rid of bacteria and fungus. I did a dosage of this last night, he was a tiny bit perkier this morning but still going to the top for air then falling back down. He looks like he is puffing hard to breath... I am sorry I don't have the water rating to post but have had it tested and I was told it was near perfect...Have done the same routine with all my fish, have had this guy for about 5 months. I realize there is not a whole lot one can do for fish, but I would still like to try my best to see if I can turn him right again. Thank you again for replying, Paula
Old 09-15-2010, 02:36 PM   #4 
Oldfishlady

In a 1g unfiltered tank-he needs at the very least 3 100% water changes a week to maintain water quality and when ill-he needs daily 100% water changes daily for at least 5-10 days

The symptoms sound like water quality related that can lead to stress, lower immune response and then pathogen/parasite problems.
Improve the water quality and often the fish will take care of the rest..
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 03:03 PM   #5 
ppcat62

As soon as I can get I'm on it! Thank you Ihope I can give you better news soon!
Old 09-15-2010, 08:53 PM   #6 
ppcat62

Unhappy

Well, I'm home and the fish is still alive. He was swimming a tiny bit better but then started to drift to the bottom of the tank and a minute ago he was lying on his back on the bottom.... I reallly don't think short of a miracle that my poor fish is gonna live much longer. still no interest in food whatsoever. I tried, if anyone has any other suggestions, please fire them this way. thanks again
Old 09-16-2010, 08:25 AM   #7 
ppcat62

Unhappy

Well sad to say this morning, my gorgeous black Rocket has died. Thank you to those who offered their help. Paula
Old 09-16-2010, 08:43 AM   #8 
BlueHaven

I'm sorry he passed....
BlueHaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 08:01 PM   #9 
dramaqueen
Banned

I'm sorry about your betta!
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote