Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-16-2010, 09:43 AM   #11 
Oldfishlady

I would feed your Betta daily-twice daily small feeding IMO are better for them and you for that matter, fasting one day a week is also what a lot of folks do especially when their Betta is prone to constipation problems or bloat issues.

I like doing water only 100% changes in QT with mild fin issue and if no improvement after 3-4 days I start the salt treatment with aquarium salt 1tsp/gal along with 100% water changes for 10 days

I like doing my treatments in small QT and then I also like to use a clean 1g jug to pre-mix my salt-this make dosage and water changes easier.
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 11:40 AM   #12 
alphabetta4kaden

Thank you so much for the help! I wouldn't have had so many dead pet fish if I had the internet when growing up! I really want to keep Alpha healthy and this is very helpful. I would be upset if he died in 2 weeks because I changed the water according to the pet store recommendation. Anyway, what does QT mean?
alphabetta4kaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 11:51 AM   #13 
Oldfishlady

QT-Quarantine tank or hospital tank-usually half to 1g and even the cup that some bettas come in are good for this as well-you want something that you can see through and bare bottom- part of QT is observation of both the fish and what comes out.....
Old 09-16-2010, 12:09 PM   #14 
alphabetta4kaden

Thank you so much! Sorry for all the questions! I want to make sure I'm not responsible for the death of Alpha as much as possible! I think my son would be devastated but I would be even more so!

Anyway, I am testing the mini Hydor heater and it's proving very unreliable. It gets as warm as 82 (maybe more) and then it completely cools off to room temp at around 75 in the matter of a few hours. Is it better to go without this heater and the temperature swings?
Old 09-16-2010, 12:17 PM   #15 
Oldfishlady

On the temp swings-are you testing this in a tank with a filter and light-like it would be on the tank, this make a difference.....
What is the temp in your house or location of the tank?
Old 09-16-2010, 04:30 PM   #16 
Ajones108

If the temperature of your house cools off at night/later on in the day, the tank water will also get cooler, because the Hydor Mini is pre-set to only help a couple degrees warmer than room temperature. Unless you have a very consistant thermostat in your house, the water will fluctuate. Whether it's supposed to fluctuate that much or not.. I haven't a clue.
Ajones108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 05:03 PM   #17 
alphabetta4kaden

The tank is in the kitchen and I'm testing it in 1.5g of water in a pot right now - so no filter or light. It does get really warm (the floating thermometer says 82 but it feels warmer than that so maybe the thermometer isn't working?) and then it just shuts off and it cools to room temp - around 75 right now, all within a few hours or less. It's gone through 2 cycles of that already today. Maybe I should get a new heater? Someone recommended the Marineland 10W pro-stealth. The mini hydor was on sale but I'm not sure if I feel safe using it. Maybe I got a defective one? Can large swings in temp be harmful to bettas? Again, thanks for all the help you two!
Old 09-16-2010, 06:35 PM   #18 
Oldfishlady

When the temp changes are slow or gradual, usually a healthy fish will tolerate that without any problems. You can also have temp changes at different levels in the tank- especially in tanks without strong water movement-in the smaller tanks it is usually not that big of a change due in part to such a small water volume in general.

Checking temp with your hand you have to remember that if it feels warm to touch that it is most likely too hot for a fish.
I like to use a digital thermometer that I got in the kitchen dept for less than $5.00 for quick temp check in my aquariums-really comes in handy for water changes too-to help regulate the water temp at the tap

The only time I have had any problems with long term temp swing and Betta health was with fry inside the house and really old males and only when the temp dropped for long periods of time.

In my outside Bettas/spawns the water temp has gone from 58F to over 100F from sun, rain, night time/day time temp changes, however, these are also very strong and healthy Bettas

Long term extremes should be avoid, however, extremes do happen in nature and IMO/E short term either high or low temp can be tolerated in healthy Bettas.

I am not saying that you shouldn't try to keep the water temp stable-but that short term swings happen as well as temp difference at different levels in the tank itself and usually tolerated by healthy Betta
Old 09-16-2010, 07:37 PM   #19 
Adastra

Personally, I've had a bad experience with hydor minis--I only recommend adjustable heaters. Since the minis only heat the water a few degrees above room temperature, if your house gets into the low 70s in the winter, your betta will still be cold. If your betta ever gets sick for whatever reason, you want to be able to have stability and control so that you can react appropriately to the situation. Besides, adjustable heaters are flat out higher quality products--my last mini ended up cracking right down the middle of the plastic.

I use and recommend this heater: http://www.fosterandsmithaquatics.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=3578+3743+11368&pcatid=11368

If you can, you should try to do all of your shopping online. Pet stores have a lot of overhead because of how they work, so they're forced to jack up prices in order to still make a profit. Buying just a few items at a time online will more than make up for their very reasonable flat rate shipping.

If you want a cheap Quarantine Tank/Hospital Tank solution, look no further than the rubbermaid/sterilite plastic storage bins that you can find at wal-mart or target. There are some good clear plastic options that are safe for fish, safe to heat, and ideal for hospital situations because they're long and shallow--optimizing swimming space while making the surface easy to reach for weak fish. 4-5 gallon clear plastic storage bins are only about $3 a piece. You can't beat that.
Adastra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 10:55 PM   #20 
alphabetta4kaden

Thanks all for the posts! Sorry for the delay in responding - 2 year old son was throwing up 6 times in the past 24 hours.

I am strongly considering a bigger tank so that regular maintenance is easier (as well as Alpha's happiness). Although, I think I might just put in the mini Hydor in for now (it was only $6.50) until I get a 2.5-5 gallon tank (my husband's gift to me for Xmas). Then, I can keep this 1.5 gallon for a hospital tank or give it to my friend for her daughter's betta (who is housed in a small bowl with infrequent WC from what I understand). I'm afraid if I put him in a plastic storage bin, my son will get to it. He's already put a bag of gummies (unopened fortunately) and a plastic cup into his tank in the 30 seconds it took me to dump a 50% WC and he gets into everything! So I have to keep an eye on him constantly! But I appreciate the suggestions. It's a good idea and something to keep in mind for the future when my son is older.

Any suggestions for a combo tank/filter kit? I was looking at the Marineland Eclipse but am considering others too. The one we have is the Tetra with the 3i whisper filter, which Alpha seems to like. I just don't like not being able to control water temps in it. 25W seems like it would be too much for a 1.5 gallon, even with an adjustable thermostat, no? Not sure how quickly it heats up and then shuts off. If I can get the right heater, maybe I can just keep Alpha in the Tetra 1.5 gallon tank and ask for something else for Xmas :)

Do you guys take your bettas out for partial water changes? I did a gravel clean-up/siphon for a 50% water change and Alpha seemed strung out. I think I might take him out next time. Good news is that his fin rot (if that's what it was) seems to not be getting worse. Thanks for all the help and support!