Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-15-2010, 09:24 AM   #1 
ashleyy

I know I have been posting so much....

but I'm at wits ends.

It will be three weeks tomorrow that I got Nadador and the whole time I've had him he has maybe eaten a total of 3 tiny flakes.

I even got him blood worms and sun dried baby shrimp and different pellets. Nothing. He will look at it and it'll get my hopes up and then he just looks away.

He just sits in his cave or floats a the top by the heater. I did see him swim around and a piece of his fin fell off!!!
I don't think he has fin rot, but they are very tattered looking. He is very clamped and extremely lethargic now. And very, very skinny.

At first he would dart around his tank and flare. But now, I just expect to see him upside down floating at the top when I go to check on him :(

I really don't know what else I can do. How long can he go without eating?

I guess I need to start using aquarium salts? Is epsom salt the same thing?

I so distraught about this situation. :(
ashleyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 10:13 AM   #2 
Oldfishlady

How big is his tank, filtration, live plants, how much and how often are the water changes, water temp, what kind of treatments have you tried if any.....

Yes, Epsom salt and aquarium salt are two different salts

Sorry you are having so much trouble

Go find some mosquito larva and drop one in and see if live foods will stimulate him to eat.....3 weeks without food with an already weaken fish.....his immune response may be shot and with the fins falling off his body....he needs some protein and carbs really bad at this point.
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 10:27 AM   #3 
ashleyy

hes in a 2.5 critter tote with heater at 81-82 degrees. no filtration, no live plants, i water change every 3 days with aged water that i have in gallon jugs to avoid the tiny bubbles lol

i wanted to try aquarium salt but the lady at petco said to not do that and to use betafix. so i used half the suggested dosage of it and i water changed the next day because the smell was strong (i liked the smell lol) but i figured it mustn't be good for a little fish if the smell is that strong.

where can i get live mosquito larvae?

i tried taking clean tweezers and wiggles the blood worm at the top to make it look like it was live but he will just look at it for a bit and turn away. it kind of reminds me of someone on a diet and they see a donut and they really want it but then they turn away at the last minute...
:( i've also left it in there for an hour or two and left the room to let him eat on his own and he never touched it.
Old 09-15-2010, 10:47 AM   #4 
Oldfishlady

Sounds like you are doing all that you can do......how much water are you changing at a time?

I would try QT with daily 100% water changes and aquarium salt 1tsp/gal for 10 days

You live in the south? you got mosquito? look around outside for any type of standing water-use a net and dip out the larva-if the water is stinky put the larva in fresh dechlorinated water after you rinse them for about an hour and then drop a big wiggley one in his tank and see if he will eat one, if he does, feed him a couple every 2-3 hours-not too many too fast....a little at a time

I feed mass amounts of larva for many years and have never had any problems, and some came from some pretty rank water with dead frog and maggots...even fed some of the maggot and they chowed down on them too-Bettas are fish and their natural diet is critters/bug...etc......most fish will not eat something it shouldn't and if it is bad it will spit it out usually.......and if there is poison in the water the bugs/larva will be dead too and you don't want to feed dead bugs only live.......
Old 09-15-2010, 10:51 AM   #5 
ashleyy

oh okay, i will be searching around outside when i get home! i will also pick up some aquarium salt.

i change 100% every 3 days.

what is QT?
Old 09-15-2010, 10:54 AM   #6 
ashleyy

and thank you so much for helping. i have been stressing out over him so bad.
Old 09-15-2010, 11:28 AM   #7 
Oldfishlady

Your welcome....it sounds like you may have gotten a sick Betta to start and that really makes your work cut out for you....since he wasn't eating from day one or at least by day 5-7 after getting him...it could be anything from internal parasites, bacterial, viral...etc....really hard to say.......

QT-is quarantine tank-a smaller container of half to 1g-even the cup some Bettas come in will work because it is temporary and you can float the cup in a heated tank to maintain the temp

It is important to use the correct dosage and duration of salt and the 100% daily water changes are also important when treating a sick fish

Fresh clean dechlorinated water is one of the best medication for most anything aquatic.
Old 09-15-2010, 11:41 AM   #8 
Alex09

Im guessing he's sick. Even the more stubborn fish would rather eat flake/pellet foods rather than starve... Can you post any pics?

Other than that, Oldfishlady has got it all down for you. Hope your fish gets well.
Alex09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 03:40 PM   #9 
ashleyy

HE ATE!
i came home with water testing strips, aquarium salt and new measuring spoons.
i went to check on him and he was in his usual spot, looking pitiful. but i did my usual offer of flakes and baby shrimp.

HE ATE IT! ALMOST ALL! then i offered him a blood worm and he actually took it! but it spit it out.. i dont think he liked it, or maybe he is full.

i also took my camera and starting taking pics of him and he even flared his fins and gills! i never saw him flare his gills before! he looks scary!!! lol

im going to take it easy, i wont try to feed again until tomorrow and im not going to get my hopes up just yet.

i checked the current water he is in and the water i have sitting and they are about the same... which i thought was weird... is that good?

i think the only thing was that the alkalinity was "very soft"

Oldfishlady, should i still do the aquarium salt with 100% daily water changes for 10 days still?

oh and guys,... this is so sad. when i was at walmart getting the supplies there were two bettas and someone had wrote "slow death" on both of their lids. i dont know if an employee did that or a random person. but it made me so sad. if i had the money i would have so many bettas....

i was going to leave a note saying to stop selling bettas but i didnt have any paper on me.

Last edited by ashleyy; 09-15-2010 at 03:43 PM.
Old 09-15-2010, 04:08 PM   #10 
Oldfishlady

Awesome....good job!

You may want to offer him another small meal later tonight and maybe find some live food for him too

Fresh clean dechlorinated water.....number one medication IMO/E

If his overall look/fins/body are okay and it is just an appetite issues (that you are successfully fixing... yea!) then I would do the water only and see how it goes for a day or so, however, 1tsp/gal aquarium salt won't hurt either....but go slow and get him eating good....fingers crossed for the both of you.......