Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-02-2010, 01:29 PM   #11 
JorgeBurrito

Nice start, it is looking good. Is that a coconut shell in the back left? If so, you might consider getting some java moss and attaching it to the shell. It looks good and is another easy to grow plant.

Amazon swords grow large root systems that need to be buried in a substrate. You will need at least 2" of gravel to put their roots into (better would be 3"). Also it looks like your gravel in there now is course, a little finer gravel would be better, and using something specifically for plants (eco-complete, fluorite) even better. It may be possible to grow them like you have them now, but they will do much better if you follow my advice.
JorgeBurrito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 08:34 AM   #12 
BlueHaven

Thank you! I'm hoping to get more gravel today and it is a coconut, I would get java moss, but I can't find it anywhere. That would look cool.
:)
BlueHaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 10:13 AM   #13 
BlueHaven

I kinda have another question.
Can plant's or water conditioner raise the ph level in aquariums?
I have to admit, I don't check the ph levels frequently, but that is because I know what level it always stays at and it hasn't changed. I remember it was the same when I have my goldfish before getting my bettas. BUT I got the ph level of the unconditioned water and the ph level of the conditioned tank water mixed up. I thought that the tank water stayed around 6.8 and the regular water was 7.2, but it is the other way around.
I just wanted to know if it's normal for the ph to be a little higher in the tank than it is before using it? That means that the tank water always has the same ph, it's just higher than it is before I condition and use it.

Thank you for the help. :)

EDIT:
It does change the ph, I checked the other aquariums that use the same water conditioner and it is the same, at 7.2
I guess it is normal, but my problem is that I'm going to be switching to Prime, but Prime does not change the PH. That would cause the ph to stay around 6.8 and would harm the fish from sudden changes. I tested Prime in a separate container, and unless I am supposed to wait a while to see the results of using it, the ph is at the lower level...
How can I fix that? :S

Last edited by BlueHaven; 10-03-2010 at 10:33 AM.
Old 10-03-2010, 11:35 AM   #14 
Oldfishlady

It is most likely something in your tank that is causing the pH to rise not the conditioner-unless the product you are using states that it changes the pH

To get a better reading of your source water pH it needs to gas out for 24h-pour a fresh glass of water add a air stone and test before and after the 24h and compare numbers-do this with both conditioners and airstone too and this should tell you if either are changing the pH. Then test your tank and compare numbers-this will tell you if it is something in the tank that is changing the pH like gravel, decoration, wood, soil...etc.......
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 11:42 AM   #15 
Ajones108

I have two amazon sword plants and they are thriving in the TopFin gravel I bought from PetSmart. If that tank is a new set-up, make sure you keep an eye on your ammonia and nitrites/nitrates. You don't want a cycle to catch you off-guard and make your fish sick.

What kind of water conditioner are you using? I know that the pH of water can go down the longer it is set up/how long the water has been sitting out. Most water conditioners won't bother it.
Ajones108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 01:07 PM   #16 
BlueHaven

I use Tetra AquaSafe conditioner, with bioextract.
I will test them out now. Thank you, :)

I'll keep an eye on them too, unfortunately the (top fin) bacteria supplement I was using was not letting the tank cycle, but eating all the ammonia so I was going to switch to Prime and do daily water changes with it.

Last edited by BlueHaven; 10-03-2010 at 01:14 PM.
Old 10-25-2010, 12:20 PM   #17 
BlueHaven

I brought this back up because I think Thai's tank is cycled!
I tested his water and the ammonia is at 0 ( it was yellow, if there WAS any green, I could not see it. Can using Oak leaves in the tank cause the ammonia to rise if the tank is cycled?), the Nitrites was at 0 and the Nitrates were close to 5 as the color was yellow/gold.
The PH has been doing fine, I stopped using that bacteria supplement and switched to Prime. The Diatoms have begun to dissapear and I noticed the past couple days most of it is green. I have a bunch of live plants in there, I added hornwort (I think I mentioned that before.....) & a Dwarf lilly bulb, which is growing out! Thai's doing well too, :)
He's always making bubble nests and rearranging them, haha
He made a bubble nest around the outfolow of the filter and moved it to the tube that sucks in water because it got messed up.