Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-15-2010, 04:06 PM   #1 
Alexanderismylife

Another tumor on Alex =/

I haven't been on latley since my family was in the middle of moving...but now we are all settled in....This morning when I was getting up to feed Alex and Riley I noticed Alexander had another tumor =/ He has right below his gill under him....and another right below is pectoral fins (Sp??) He is still pretty active,eating fine,flaring,and acting completly normal. Right now I can't find my camera...so I can't take any picture of it yet. I've been doing 50% water changes every week to make sure his water stays clean. His water also always stays between 79-82 degrees. I've had him since january 21st 2010 so he's around a year and 2 months old...Is there anything I can do to help him? He doesn't seem to be in pain...this is my first fish with any kind of tumor so I'm not very sure on what to do.

Thank you,
Kayla
Alexanderismylife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 04:10 PM   #2 
Ajones108

A lot of people really don't know how to handle tumors since they're not common enough it seems. How big is the tank he is in and is it filtered? I know you said this somewhere else but just to reiterate...

Really if he's showing no signs of illness I wouldn't be too worried. Vaygirl already said she had no clue what it was so maybe OFL will know something about it. I'll be watching for pictures when you do get them up.
Ajones108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 04:27 PM   #3 
vaygirl

Whiskey's had one for a long time now. His is on his skin vs internal. It sort of looks like someone took his skin and pushed it into a weird shape. It's starting to grow over his back towards the other side. It seems like it's distorting his spine a bit too. :(

Is your guy's under the skin or on top?
vaygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 04:42 PM   #4 
Alexanderismylife

Hes in a 5 gallon that is cycled and filtered. It looks like it's under....its kind of like a bump that looks under his skin. The one towards the end of his tail is dis-colored and kind of white-ish but still has some red. the one under his pectoral fins is the same red as his body if that matters.
Old 09-15-2010, 06:26 PM   #5 
vaygirl

This is Whiskey's 'growth'. I took this earlier today. I'm pretty sure his is cancerous. He's losing weight despite a frozen bloodworm diet and he's getting very raggedy. He can't seem to heal any damage to himself.

Maybe Adastra or OFL can offer some advice that I can't? At least I can give you a pic to compare to. Over on another forum they thought Whiskey's was a tumor as well.
vaygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 06:40 PM   #6 
CodeRed

Here's another pic to compare it to:

Tumors are strange.... depending on where they're located, they're either horrible, or just... there. My Vulcan's is located in a spot that it doesn't bother him at all, he just keeps on going. He IS losing his dorsal fin, but so far that's the worst that's happened/happening. He's had this since at least.... maybe December? But once again, he got his in a lucky spot. Other people have gotten them on their betta's faces, which can fall off and actually can rip eyes, gills, and fins off of bettas.
I don't think there's anything you can do if your betta has a tumor like this. I've tried. I've tried, and I've tried, and I've tried, and finally, I decided that it just wasn't going to happen. I was stressing my fish out more than I was helping him.

Last edited by CodeRed; 09-15-2010 at 06:52 PM.
CodeRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 06:49 PM   #7 
Alexanderismylife

Thank you all. It looks alot like whiskeys tumor but smooth....I was going to post a bunch of pics I got of it off my phone but I can't get them to send in a email...So I won't probably be able to get any good pics until tomorrow afternoon when I get home from school...But I will. Could tumors possible crush organs? =/
Old 09-15-2010, 06:57 PM   #8 
Alexanderismylife

Heres a pic of one of the tumors. It's a couple weeks old....But here it is. I think it may be near the labyrinth organ =/ Also I looked up betta antaomy (sp?) a minute ago and most of the vital organs are on the first half of a bettas body...Could the tumor crush his organs? </3
Attached Images

Old 09-15-2010, 06:57 PM   #9 
CodeRed

This is what Vulcan's look like when it was starting... Does it look anything like this?

CodeRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 07:02 PM   #10 
Alexanderismylife

Oh....I posted a pic right above your post...It's kinda blurry tho.