Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-15-2010, 10:54 AM   #1 
r3h0ld3r

Looking for heater suggestions

Hey there,

been lurking here for a while, and I can't remember if I've posted anything yet but I've got a question for you all!

I currently have two bettas, one is mine and the other is my sister's. Currently hers is in a small gallon bowl and mine is in a 1.5 lit tank with a filter.

My plan is to buy this 3 gallon: http://www.amazon.com/Marineland-Ecl...=114PAGDPYL2MB

I plan to put my fish in there and put her fish in the tank I'm currently using.

My dilemma is as follows...I need heaters! The cold months are coming and this will be my fish winter with a fish...and my room gets very cold. I know it will be unhealthy for them unless I get a heater.

SO, I was planning on getting a hydor 7.5 watt: http://www.amazon.com/Hydor-Mini-Hea...4562303&sr=1-1

For either the smaller tank, or both, but I've been reading some bad things about it, such as large fluctuations in actual temperature because it doesn't stay at a fixed temp, but rather heats the water a few degrees.

My question is, would that be a good heater? For the small tank? For both? And if not, what would be a nice, cheap heater for either tank?

Thanks!
r3h0ld3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 11:50 AM   #2 
Bustyrucket

It's no good, there's no thermostat built into that thing so it's always on. Get something that has a thermostat built in so it will turn itself on and off depending on water temperature. I use the Hydor Theo 25 watt heater in my 3 gallon JBJ Picotope and it works like a charm.

http://www.amazon.com/Hydor-T11702-T...4565817&sr=1-1
Bustyrucket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 11:53 AM   #3 
Adastra

I love that tank kit, I have a couple myself. It's great for low light plants and the design maximizes swimming space while still allowing room for decor and a place for your betta to retreat from the filter flow.

As for the heater, I only recommend adjustable heaters. Heater pads, mini heaters, and preset heaters are lower quality and they have no thermostat. This means that they often underheat or overheat the water based on the ambient temperature of the room, and that the temperature in your tank is vulnerable to fluctuations. Adjustable heaters give the user stability and control, and they're just a few dollars more. I use and recommend this 25 watt heater in my 3 gallon tanks: http://www.fosterandsmithaquatics.co...8&pcatid=11368

Edit: Wow why you gotta beat me to it like that, Bustyrucket? ;3
Adastra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 12:04 PM   #4 
r3h0ld3r

Looks like that's a good heater then haha!

What about the smaller tank I have? What would be a good heater for that?
Old 09-15-2010, 01:16 PM   #5 
Adastra

As long as you can submerge the heater up to the water line, it should technically work, but be aware that these heaters are designed for use in aquariums 2 gallons or larger. It -should- work, but the best advice I can really give you in that respect is to get another 3 gallon eclipse for the other betta. Maintenance is so much easier once the tanks have been cycled and your betta will be much healthier.

If money and time are big concerns to you, there are some very cheap temporary solutions out there. I use 4-5gallon rubbermaid and sterilite plastic storage bins from walmart/target. These bins can be safely heated and they're great for keeping fish because they're so durable and easy to clean. They don't look great, but you can still enjoy your fish through the clear plastic ones, and you just can't beat the price. About $3 for a four gallon bin with a lid.
Old 09-15-2010, 01:24 PM   #6 
r3h0ld3r

Ok, well the concern for me is space...That's the only thing holding me back. I don't have a lot of space to work with at all, so I was looking for the best alternatives to getting another tank.

I guess I'll just see how the heater looks in the small tank and go from there. I don't want him to overheat though. What's the concern if it's in a tank smaller than what it's made for?
Old 09-15-2010, 01:30 PM   #7 
Adastra

Just that it's not designed to be used for it, so it may overheat the tank. It has a pretty decent thermostat, so in my opinion, I would rather use the 25watt adjustable rather than the 7.5 watt non-adjustable, tank size notwithstanding. Just monitor it carefully with a thermometer and keep it set in the low range, 77-78 degrees.
Old 09-15-2010, 01:45 PM   #8 
r3h0ld3r

Ok, well thanks for your insight!
Old 09-16-2010, 11:29 AM   #9 
dramaqueen
Banned

I have a Marineland stealth visitherm in a 2.5 gallon critter keeper and I haven't had any problems with it.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote