Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-13-2010, 06:41 PM   #1 
purplemuffin

Creating decorations

I'm curious, I don't see too many of these kind of threads...

I go to an art university, I have many tools available to me, and many art supply stores(as well as your average home depot, pet stores, all that)

I'm not planning on anything right now, but I am curious for the future.. I love making sculptures, and I know that clearly it can be done somehow--otherwise we wouldn't have those decorations already in petstores made for fish!

I'm willing to seal things, use whatever materials..I'm just curious, what COULD you use? I've heard you can use most materials if you seal it with something that will not let the material in the center leak into your tank! I think I saw someone on here use some concrete mix? I've made things for reptiles, and I'm aware fishies are more sensitive..

But man, I would love to have my own unique decorations for my future betta's 'castle'! I love doing themed things, I've always wanted to create an aztec jungle scene or ruins... and there is only so much out there, and most of it..is in everyone else's tanks here!

:) It would be nice to get my creative side involved in the fish thing. It's so cool designing for animals--things that are pretty but also functional?? Sweet! If anyone has done this sort of thing, please tell me! I'm oh-so-curious!

And again--Not planning on using from nature items or around the home items, I will happily purchase whatever is necessary to keep my fishy safe! And before anything goes into a tank with an animal, I'd test it out first, put it in a different tank... see if it affects any of the water tests or unexpected disasters happen! It would just be cool if I could take advantage of my time here where I have the supplies! :) Let me know!
purplemuffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 07:01 PM   #2 
wallywestisthebest333

Ceramic anything is cool as far as I know. If you use the same sealing method you use for plates and dinner ware it should be fine as well seeing as how anything food-safe tends to be betta safe! =]

I was actually gonna use a Christmas tree salt shaker as a decoration for Christmas! XD

Seeing as how you're partial to sculpture I'd LOVE to see what comes outta your efforts! =]
wallywestisthebest333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 12:58 PM   #3 
purplemuffin

Oh yay :3 that makes me happy!!

:D I will see what I can do! I'm very excited. My roommate is better at sculpting than I, though she wants to help. As soon as I get the supplies I'll start creating things for my leopard geckos as well... So fun!
Old 09-14-2010, 01:26 PM   #4 
Adastra

You should still do more research--I know some glazes are definitely toxic. I have read about someone making ceramic caves--I know they used stoneware fired to cone ten to make them extremely solid and durable, and checked every ingredient in the glazes to make sure they were safe for fish. Alternatively, you could just use stoneware without any glaze.

It might be helpful to research homemade/custom cichlid caves--quite a few companies and individuals specialize in that.

Last edited by Adastra; 09-14-2010 at 01:29 PM.
Adastra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 10:45 PM   #5 
purplemuffin

I will be doing more research, I won't even start until I have specific brands and temps instructions and everything to make sure it's safe! It's difficult with so much misinformation out there though! :) I would like to see if I can find someone in person who has done what I want to do... So they could show me and check my work!

I just would like to not be limited to whatever is in the petstore C:
Old 09-15-2010, 10:47 PM   #6 
Capricorn

I agree! A lot of the pet store stuff is really, really tacky. ): I love natural looks to my tanks, and it's so hard to find things that aren't neon colors or with text all over them. Good luck with this! I'd love to see what you come up with.
Capricorn is offline   Reply With Quote