Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-20-2010, 12:36 AM   #101 
beat2020

Glad to hear they're all doing well :)
beat2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 12:58 AM   #102 
metalbetta

Please tell me you're keeping that huge guy/girl! Can't wait to see what he/she ends up looking like!
metalbetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 09:13 AM   #103 
indjo
TFK Moderator

Good to hear them make it. How big are they?
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 11:55 AM   #104 
1fish2fish

The one I really like right now is one of the big ones he's dark bodied and is starting to get a little bluish iridescence to him. I know its too early to be looking at fin structure but I'm really liking his fins so far.

They're averaging in size of about .75 centimeters right now... Maybe a little more or less. Basically they're almost as long as the width of my finger.

I noticed some of the fry have smaller fins than the others, particularly in dorsals... I wonder if those will turnout to be female. I guess I'll know in another month
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 01:52 PM   #105 
MrVampire181

Can't wait to see how they turn out!
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 06:12 PM   #106 
dramaqueen
Banned

They're going to be beautiful!!
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 10:48 AM   #107 
1fish2fish

Today the babies are 1 month old!

My computer is still broken so alas, no pictures but all 15 are doing well. The biggest ones are about 1 cm long. They didn't seem to grow very much this past week but I suspect that my having the flu and being extremely lax on water changes and feeding is the cause of that. This week will be business as usual so hopefully they'll continue growing well.

I am just beginning to see a little color come in on the dark colored fish. I have a feeling that all the light bodied fry will be pastels which is kind of a let down for me but I know they'll sell easily. I believe at least one of the dark bodied fry will be an MG and another a blue/red multicolor like Bowie so I definitely should have some fry I'm interested in keeping.

If I get a male pastel I may even breed him back to lilly even though I don't really like pastels much. She has awesome fins and I would like to continue those.

I will hopefully be setting up my spare 12 gallon tank as a growout within the next week or so. I need to buy a heater and hopefully a sponge filter for it so its going to depend on how long it takes me to get the money together.

In another 4 weeks I should probably begin jarring males (hopefully) and leaving the females in the 12 gallon. By January or February these guys should be ready to find their new homes (as long as they continue to grow at this rate).

I do have one runt of the litter. A little light bodied fry who is about half the size of my huge guys. I'm hoping she is just a late bloomer but if not I have plenty of adoptive homes lined up.
Old 10-26-2010, 06:44 PM   #108 
PeggyJ

That is the truth!
PeggyJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 09:17 PM   #109 
1fish2fish

My laptop is finally fixed so I can post the week 3 and week 4 pictures! Next pic update will be Tuesday, they'll be 5 weeks old.

Week 3.. sorry if they're a little blurry.. I did my best to edit them and make them clear.

Week 4.

My Biggun'

Old 10-28-2010, 09:20 PM   #110 
Bloodeath

Bahaha, i love the way they look when their that young.

The funnest part is still ahead, when all their colors start blossoming all over the fry.

its so awesome to check in on them from a day to day basis, and see the changes in color/size that they go through in such a short time.
Bloodeath is offline   Reply With Quote